This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

You read that title right, the s-word. Not the one that means poop but S L U T. 

Oh my, saying it seems like saying Voldemort in harry potter. Yikes, as if the world that shall not be used sort of thing, but moving on…. IT’S MARCH!!! Which means a couple of things from that being the middle of the spring semester, spring break, St.Patties Day, etc. Most importantly, however, it is Women’s History Month and in that, March 8th was International Women’s day.

So it is a month of celebrating women. With that, we women like to do the opposite of that sometimes and degrade one another to this day. And with that, it really needs to stop and we need to build one another up. As well as be there for one another.

So, let’s talk about slut shaming. What is slut shaming you might ask? According to dictionary.com, “Slut-shaming is the practice of disparaging women, and occasionally men, for acting in a manner that violates “norms” regarding sexually appropriate behavior. These denigrations, which are often double standards, range from criticizing women for wearing sexy clothing or having multiple sexual partners to blaming sexual assault and rape survivors for their attacks.”

Now there are so many forms of slut shaming. It can be anything judging someone and vocalizing your judgment on how many sexual partners to even judging someone on how they dress. This all together just degrades the victim. So what is the point of slut shaming? Why can’t we let people live their damn lives if it isn’t harming us? Why can’t we let the girl in her booty shorts and crop top go along her way without vocalizing our damn negative opinion?  

There is no reason for it! So, let’s be kind to one another. Not just for a day or month, but always. Maybe start by just giving out a compliment and helping build someone up. Maybe if you hear someone trying to slut shame, say something. Let’s be honest, we are all guilty of throwing around “slut”, “hoe” and other words around, however, it’s important that we all remember how important it is to uplift each other, rather than breaking people down.

So happy women’s history month everyone. Let’s honor women everywhere. Let’s help raise amazing, young women. Let’s treat everyone with respect. Let’s help older women and listen to their stories and experience. Let’s stand for women issues that you strongly believe in. Let’s build up one another and compliment each other often. Let’s be honest, it’s a white man’s world and all of us women have to stick together and be strong in this. Now celebrate your strong beautiful self and the people around you!!!

Sources: https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/slut-shaming/

Julia Fitzgibbon

PS Behrend '22

Sophomore at Penn State Behrend Nutrition major with a biology minor Professional procrastinator with a coffee addiction Workout and dog enthusiast