Rachel Bowden ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

This week’s campus profile is about the fun, hardworking, and dedicated President of Gamma Sigma Sigma. Now introducing, Rachel Bowden!

Name: Rachel Danielle Bowden

Major: Biochemistry/ Pre-med

Hometown: Springfield, PA

Year: Junior

Relationship Status: Single and ready to mingle!

Age: 20

Involvment: Gamma Sigma Sigma, Love your Melon, Thon, Welcome week

Favorites:

Favorite Food: Grilled Cheese… oh gosh I’m such a child

Favorite Artist/Band: Frank Sinatra

Favorite Hobby: Kayaking

Favorite TV Show: Grey’s Anatomy

Favorite Person: My mom… wait or Beyoncé

Favorite Season: Football season  

Why did you choose Behrend?

All my family was really into Penn State, so by default I went to Penn State. I wanted to go somewhere closer to home and somewhere that was smaller so that’s why I chose Behrend. I was going to transfer to University Park but I don’t want to now, I love this school.

What’s your ideal date?

My ideal date is something outdoorsy. We can go kayak, maybe watch the sunset and definitely get some wine.

Do you have any specific type of guy in mind for this date?

I would want it with someone who is nice, someone with ambition, and someone that can make me laugh. I am going to put extra emphasis on ambition.

I know you’re very involved in Gamma Sigma Sigma, how did you get started?

I joined GSS fall of last year. I just kind of like the idea of the required hours because I wanted to be more involved and everyone was really friendly. Now I love GSS and everyone in it. I like what we do and I am glad I get to be a part of it.  

How have things changed since becoming president?

I definitely have learned a lot about responsibility as well as it taught me that I can’t be a push over about things.

What else are you involved in?

I am also the captain for Love Your Melon. It’s a nationwide organization that supports pediatric cancer and for every beanie we sell, somewhere a patient gets one. I also did welcome week this year and loved it, I always make a lot of friends and think it’s a good time.

How did you get involved with Love Your Melon?

Last year Gracie Wiles knew I was passionate about Thon so she came to me with the idea and we actually started it here at Behrend.

Do you think you want to do something relating to cancer when you graduate?

I know I want to work in pediatrics because I like kids, but I also kind of want to do oncology. My dad died of cancer so I want to work towards finding a cure or maybe even just helping families while they go through it.

Is there any advise you would give to students?

Push through it. College seems like a hell of a lot of work but it’s worth it. I mean, I wouldn’t know because I’m not done yet, but I am pretty sure it will be.

Thanks for chatting with us Rachel! HCXO

Sorya Nasir

PS Behrend

Native of Santa Clara, CA Senior at Penn State Behrend Management Information Systems Major HerCampus PS Behrend, President Alpha Sigma Alpha
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.