This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

It’s 2018, let’s be honest, it’s completely normal to have a one night stand or be in the infamous “friends with benefits” relationship. As with anything, there are both positives and negatives with having such a lax stance on hooking up.

Pros:

There are little to no strings attached.

Look, we’re all busy here–we’re college students. Thanks to hook up culture you can get your rocks off without having to be in a committed relationship. That means you can coordinate a quickie when you’re both free and then be completely on your way without the stress having to do all the extra lovey-dovey, relationship stuff. Be free, baby!

You take charge of your sex life.

Because you can pick and choose whomever you’d like to sleep with (maintaining that you make sure they’re cool with just a hookup), you are fully in charge of your own sex life! Now, when you’re in a monogamous relationship you obviously have autonomy to choose when to have sex, but there’s a certain power having the world, and all the available in it, at your horny fingertips. The world is your oyster (I hear it’s a great aphrodisiac).

It feels good!

We all need a pick me up sometimes; A little extra heavy petting to warm us up when the weather gets cold (especially in Erie). We all the know the glow of the morning after. It’s invigorating!

Cons:

It can be confusing.

Because sex is quite intimate, there are opportunities for feelings to get misconstrued. Human relationships, both platonic and romantic, are complicated, and sometimes hooking up with someone can even further complicate the situation. Communication can be hard for everyone sometimes; I believe in you.

You’re responsible for your sexual health.

Use condoms, you heathens. Because hook up culture normally encompasses a different number of partners, the threat of contracting an STI is always at the front of your brain. Even safe sex has to be monitored with regular screenings and open communication with your OBGYN. Your sexual health is yours to be responsible for if you’re falling into bed with people you may not know fully (but are like… really pretty).

It doesn’t always feel good.

Because you’re going downtown with a person who doesn’t know all your favorite -ahem- moves, you may not feel fully satisfied after a hookup. There’s nothing quite as disappointing as bad sex, although the stories you tell your bff the next day can always gets a laugh.

At the end of the day, hookups are a gamble, but just like blackjack, winning is a complete RUSH. Do you trust your odds?

Image Credits: 1 2