Professor Travis Yates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Have you ever had a professor that you just wished would teach all of your classes? That’s how I felt about this certain teacher after taking his Econ 102 class. Not only is he a cool professor, but he could also make things like equilibrium equations and production possibility frontiers interesting and easy to understand. It is my pleasure to introduce, Professor Travis Yates.

Job Title: Lecturer of Economics

Hometown: Buffalo, NY

Degrees:

• Bachelor Degrees

• International Business

• Business Economics

• Master Degree

• Business Administration  

Involvement on Campus:

• Advisor for outdoors club

• Advisor to Ski Club

• Library Committee

• Advisor for Sigma Tau Gamma  

Why did you decide to become involved in these organizations?

Well, I am passionate about the outdoors and I do all the things that they strive to do. I actually feel like they came up to me and reached out because I was closer to their age and more likely to go out and to do things so I said sure that sounds fun!I also chose to be Sigma Tau Gama’s advisor because I wanted to help steer them in the right direction and help them become great men and adults. I also wanted to make sure they were growing as well by taking school serious.

What made you want to start teaching?

I like seeing the light bulbs go off. I get a lot of satisfaction from seeing people learn and through helping people understand things. I also hope that it will help me prepare for law school by learning how to explain difficult concepts in a way that everyone can understand.

How does it feel being close in age to many of your students?

I think it allows me to relate to them very well and I use examples that translate to their life which allows the teaching process to go better because we are all on the same page about things.

What’s the hardest part of being a professor?

Initially it was hard to get respect from students during the classes because of the closeness in age, but it has developed quickly. Also feeling let down by students who don’t take their classes serious. I care a lot about my students and it hurts when they don’t care as well.

What’s the most ridiculous story you have about teaching?

I had, my second year, four students miss an exam because supposedly they got a flat tire while driving to campus. I said that they could make it up, however, they had to answer the first question of the exam correctly first. The question asked which tire of the car went flat. All students wrote different answers so unfortunately they were not able to retake the exam.

Are there things you did in college that you dislike when students now do it?

Not really. Because we are close in age and I understand them wanting to do the things that they do. I mean sure do I think that it might be more beneficial to study rather than go out? Yeah but I know they’re in college and want to have fun.   

Lastly, do you have any Advice for Economic/ Business majors?

Listen to your professors; believe it or not we know what we are talking about. Ask questions and build relationships with them as well because we can open many doors for you. Study in small increments and not in big blocks and try to apply everything you learn into your life and you will understand it a lot better.

Thank you so much for your time and insight Mr. Yates! HCXO

Sorya Nasir

PS Behrend

Native of Santa Clara, CA Senior at Penn State Behrend Management Information Systems Major HerCampus PS Behrend, President Alpha Sigma Alpha
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.