This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

We Latinxs do a lot of entertaining, and being entertained…and that almost always means food! We know, no recipe will ever taste exactly like abuela’s cooking, but whether you are hosting or visiting, there are some recipes every Latina should know! These ten staples of our cuisine are essentials you need to try -all you need is a kitchen.

Source

• Chicken Enchiladas: Before you call it a chain restaurant cliché, chicken enchiladas are easy to make for a crowd and people love them. Doing them right will set the authentic Latin version apart from the fast food assembly line. Check out the recipe here!

Source

• Patacones: Also known as tostones. This tasty dish is made from green plantains peeled and cut crosswise. Patacones are fried twice and are often served as a side dish for seafood or as an appetizer with ceviche, guacamole or just by themselves. Check out the recipe here!

Source

• Ceviche: A traditional Central and South American cooking method, ceviche is usually made with raw fish, citrus juice and chilies. This version is just bare bones but if you Google ceviche recipes there are literally thousands of variations with fish, shellfish and even no fish. Check out the recipe here!

Source

• Flan: Chances are, you have never made flan because one of your aunts always brings it and it always seemed a little intimidating. But flan is actually super easy to make and a great dessert to bring to a party—which is why Titi always brings it. Check out the recipe here!

Source

• Ropa Vieja: Popular Cuban dish which literally translates to “old clothes.” But don’t let the name fool you -this dish is far from something you’d want to get rid of. It consists of shredded beef, vegetables and a delicious tomato sauce. Check out the recipe here!

Source

• Lechon: Most Latinxs serve Lechon Asado (roast pork) on special occasions like Noche Buena (Christmas Eve) feasts or birthday parties. Traditionally a whole pig is slow cooked in a pit or nowadays a Caja China (Chinese box) is used. One of the tastiest recipes here without a doubt. Check out the recipe here!

Source

• Chimichurri: This herb-and-garlic sauce is native to Argentina, but has been adopted by many Latinos. Check out the recipe here!

Source

• Beans and Cheese Pupusa: Taking a trip to El Salvador will most likely lead to you eating one of the country’s most popular dishes: the pupusa -a handmade corn tortilla that’s stuffed with refried beans and cheese. Check out the recipe here!

Source

• Mango Salad: Probably one of my favourite dishes in this article, even though it’s not an actual “salad” and doesn’t really give you many nutrients other than the mango. It consists of chopping thick pieces of green mango and you mix them with vinegar, salt and black pepper.

Source

• Empanada: A popular snack in Latin American cuisine, an empanada (pastel in Brazilian Portuguese and salteña in Bolivia) is a baked or fried bread or pastry which is stuffed with meat, cheese, huitlacoche (“corn smut”, a delicacy in Mexico), vegetables or fruits, among other fillings. Both savory and sweet versions are available. Check out the recipe here!

Source

• Tamal: Found across Latin American cuisine, and known as a huminta in Peru, Argentina, Ecuador, Bolivia and Chile, a tamal (or tamale in English) is a traditional Mesoamerican dish made using masa (starchy, corn-based dough) and filled with meats, cheeses, fruits, vegetables or chilies, then steamed or boiled in a leaf wrapper. Check out the recipe here!

Source

Cheese Arepas: A Colombian staple, the arepa is a thick flatbread made from cornmeal that is predominantly served for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. It is usually eaten spread with butter or topped with cheese or with whatever filling you can possibly think of. Check out the recipe here!

Andrea Gáez

PS Behrend '19

From Panama.xx
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.