This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Pettiness is on the rise lately and with so many people trying to get ahead in life and succeed to the highest level, they have become petty. Whether they become petty to distract their “competition” from succeeding before they do or they become petty so they too can be just as cool as all the other petty people look. I have some bad news for you; petty only hurts you. It only makes you look bad. Plus, the amount of time you spend being petty causes you to miss out on opportunities to better yourself and live up to the great, successful woman you were born to be.

If you have been living under a rock and are unsure of what petty is, Urban Dictionary says it best: “ Petty is when someone makes things, events, or actions normal people dismiss as trivial or insignificant into excuses to be upset, uncooperative, childish, or stubborn.”

Let’s focus on one word in particular in that definition: childish. Why would anyone want to be seen as childish? We have been telling our parents that we were adults since we were 15 and now we truly are adults and we are working towards being professionals. The hiring manager at your dream job does not care that Rachel didn’t like your Instagram from that one Saturday in 2013 and how you completely stopped speaking to her and started talking poorly of her. If anything, they will see that as a red flag, then it’s “bye-bye” dream job and maybe even other jobs that you have applied for that know the hiring manager that interviewed you.

Putting jobs aside, what about friends? Isn’t it nice having friends? Personally, I think it’s the best to have people that you can go get food with, study with, and even hang with while you have an emotional breakdown halfway through the semester. When you give into the urge to be petty, you are showing your friends who you truly are and, although it may be funny sometimes, no one wants to be besties with a petty bitch. At least not people worth being friends with. When you are petty towards friends, they see that and so do your other friends and they take notes for the future because they recognize that you have done it once and that you will do it again. They know it can be hilarious to watch, but no one wants to be on the receiving end of petty.

I get it, petty is fun, petty is a way to help you get your point across to someone that has hurt you or pissed you off, but petty is no way to live your life. If you have an issue with someone, say it to their face – don’t put it out there for the world to see because at the end of the day the only one that you’re making look bad is yourself. While you’re putting your time and energy into dragging them down, they are working their butts off to be the best person they can be and succeed. It’s 2017, we are finally starting to become the adults that we have been saying we were since before we could even drive, so let’s just focus on ourselves and let the chips fall where they may.

Image Credits: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Nicole Norfolk

PS Behrend '18

Nicole is on her victory lap at Penn State Behrend and is looking forward to graduating with a degree in Communication and Media Studies. In her (limited) spare time, Nicole enjoys reading and binging on the latest Netflix shows. She also manages multiple social media accounts for local organizations and is an opinion editor for Behrend's newspaper. When she isn't downing margaritas, she is usually stressing about what it is she wants to do with her life after she graduates... if you have any suggestions, DM her some ideas for her to kill time with when she becomes an official adult in December. Twitter @nicolenorfolk Instagram @nicolenorfolk
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.