The Past, The President, and Our Future

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Between work, school, and schoolwork, it’s easy to get lost in the midst of the very prevalent 2016 Presidential election. Some “Feel the Bern” while others believe in “Making America Great Again.” Regardless of the candidates that Millennials support, why is it important that we vote in this election?

Regardless of the statistics of voting or who is leading at this point, it’s important that everyone wake up right now to the issues and get the facts straight on who is running to be the POTUS. It’s our duty as citizens to be informed on the issues that really matter. Look at the candidates and whomever resonates with you personally, and whomever touch on issues in ways with which you agree, then consider them as a potential voice for you and for the issues that are so readily at hand in our society in the United States today.

And our BIGGEST duty… Follow through and VOTE! Yes, vote people!!! Voting is our way to get our voices out there! In the past election, half of all eligible people ages 18-29 voted. Imagine if even 10% more of us went and cast our ballot on Election Day. Our opinions matter and just because we’re young doesn’t mean that our voices don’t hold value. We are the next generation and as we progress, the former generation starts to fade and the Millennial generation begins to transition into society; we will see change.

But our mission to see that change… It starts now. Voting for our next president is not the answer to all of our problems, but it is a great start. Pennsylvania’s primary election will be held on April 26, 2016. The last day to register to vote in Pennsylvania has passed, but for those registered, the last day to apply for an absentee ballot is April 19!

For those who feel confused: An absentee ballot is a ballot that you fill out and mail it to the municipal clerk. Many people can’t get to the polls on election day, so this is a great option.

First, check here to see if you are registered to vote, and then review your states requirements for absentee ballot applications here. Remember that no matter your opinion or your background or how you feel about all of this craziness, your voice always has been and always will matter.  

Photo Credit: 1

Lexie is a senior communication major at Penn State Erie, The Behrend College, specializing in public relations, advertising and social media. She has coined herself as a monogram enthusiast, an unapologetic cat fanatic and a passionate feminist. Lexie started the Her Campus chapter at her school in hopes to leave behind something special to the place that has given her so much. She believes in the power of the written word, a timeless handbag and practicing reckless optimism. To feed her social media addiction, follow her on Twitter and Instagram @leckseepelchen