Wellness

My Experience With Not Washing My Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Recently there has been a great deal of conversation surrounding washing your hair. Nowadays people are getting more and more into what products to use, how often you should use heat on your hair, etc. One trend that really caught my eye wash not washing your hair for days at a time. It has been said that it is actually extremely healthy to not wash your hair so I wanted to test it out!

I have naturally dark brown hair but have been getting it professionally dyed blonde for almost 9 years (needless to say, I really have put my hair through the ringer)! About three years ago I cut a good amount of my hair off. I went from having hair almost to my butt to above my shoulders. While I loved how that looked on me, I did not compare to my long hair. That is how I got started on the hair washing trend.

Hairdresser amog hairstyle online have been giving their seal of approval for the idea that using less shampoo can strengthen and make your hair healthier. So me and my dry blonde hair decided to give it a try. 

I would say that before this, I was washing my hair every other day. Now I wash it two times a week maximum! I’m not going to lie, it was not easy to get into the habit of not only not washing my hair, but also training my hair to produce less oils to over compensate for me constantly removing them in the shower. 

Training your hair is really hard. When I first started this, my hair got greasy after the first day even though it is technically very weak and brittle. I had to push through these bad hair days though if I wanted to get my hair under control. Some things I did/ do to get through my greasy days was use a good dry shampoo. My favorite is the Sgx Nyc. You can get it almost anywhere and it is amazing! I get the dry shampoo + volume one to really bring my hair back to life, plus it smells amazing!

Another thing that I do is wear hair scarves and headbands. This not only hides your greasy scalp but it stops you from touching it throughout the day to make it less greasy. The final thing that I recommend is on your hair washing day wash it twice. The first time with a clarifying shampoo and the second with a regular shampoo ( I use purple shampoo here for my blonde hair.) 

I have been washing my hair 2 times a week for about a month now and I can finally say I feel like my hair is getting used to it and the results are amazing! My hair has not only felt the best it has in years, but it has also looked the best it has in years. I can truly say that my hair feels extremely healthy and I am so glad I decided to do this. I am trying now to go from 2 times a week to 1 time a week. 

From here I am hoping to go every other week! I really do see the benefits of not washing your hair and I would truly recommend it to anyone who is struggling with weak and fragile hair.  

Image source:

https://giphy.com/search/hair

https://giphy.com/search/hair-washing

Ramsey Struble

PS Behrend '21

Penn State Behrend//Biology Pre-Optometry