My Campus Celebrity: Dr. Kathleen Noce

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Dr. Kathleen Noce is a beloved MIS professor here at Penn State Behrend. She is a genius in her field, dedicated to her students, and will always go out of her way to lend a helping hand. Because of these reasons and many more, Dr. Noce has been chosen as our featured Campus Celebrity! 

Hometown: Erie

Favorite Band: Ed Sheeran, Creed

Favorite Designer: Ralph Lauren

Favorite Book: To Kill A Mockingbird

Favorite Social Media Platform: Facebook

Position at Penn State Behrend: Senior Lecturer MIS, Disciplinary Leader for MIS, and Director of Partnership Erie

How long have you been working for Penn State Behrend?

“14 ½ years.”

What inspired you to become a professor?

“I loved to work with students and see their progress. I’ve always been a nurturer. I used to tutor in high school and college. I always loved to help someone understand something.”

What’s the most challenging part of your job?

“I think it’s managing my time well, especially with all the things that I have to do. I think it’s important to give everything the right amount of attention as well as maintaining balance for myself.”

What’s the most rewarding part of your job?

“It’s the relationships I build with the students and seeing them embrace their education and do what they love to do. I still have life long relationship with students and I love helping them in any way possible.”

What is your advice to students who may be struggling to figure out what career they want?

“My advice would be to talk to faculty and to build relationships with faculty from various areas. Faculty members know people in the industry. We are all here because we want to help and learn and we want them to pick what they want to do.”

What is your advice to students who just recently graduated/ about the graduate?

“To take a deep breath and to know that, if they already have a job, to have balance in your work life. Make sure to take time to give back to community and take time for yourself. If they don’t have a job, I would advise them to volunteer and network. You would be surprised how many opportunities arise from networking.”

Super random question, but what’s your favorite fashion piece?

“Shoes — I have these red, plaid Ralph Lauren shoes, and I just happened to find a Dooney and Burke purse that’s the same exact style.”

Any last words for the kids on the street?

“Commit your time to the things that you love and take it seriously. Build relationships with your professors; your opportunities will be abundant if you do. Also, think about why you are here and embrace it.”