My Campus Celebrity: Alexandra Louise Sebestyen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Blog: alexandralouisesebestyenbestyen.blogspot.comTwitter: twitter.com/alsebestInstagram: instagram.com/alexandra_sebestyen/

Full Name: Alexandra Louise SebestyenAge: 22Hometown: Hermitage, Pennsylvania Favorite Band:  “Of Monsters and Men”Favorite Song: “Wouldn’t It Be Nice”- The Beach BoysFavorite Designer: Marc JacobsFavorite Book: “Yes, Please” by Amy PoehlerPosition at Rue 21: Digital Marketing CoordinatorFavorite Blogger/Vlogger: Estee Lalonde

What inspired you to work for Rue 21?“From day one, I’ve dreamed about living in New York City but my boyfriend suggested that if we both moved there together we could live more comfortably. I had been applying for jobs since January my senior year of college and I knew that I didn’t want to live in Pittsburgh. But, I decided that I needed to be smart about my decision so I decided to apply for the two big names around the Pittsburgh area—American Eagle and Rue 21. So, I applied for a job in analytics at Rue 21 and while I was being interviewed the girl who was interviewing me suggested that I would be better at a Marketing position that had just recently opened up. My boss is inspiring to me because of how passionate she is about what she is doing. She makes me want to grow with them the Rue 21 team.”

What is it like working for Rue 21?“My job can be monotonous at times because I put together the emails that Rue 21 sends out. There are the people who create the content, the people who design the emails, and then there is me—I’m the end of that process. I create the HTML codes and I send it to a huge database. It is a great learning environment—and they listen to any ideas I come up with. Like, I came up with the idea of creating an entire men’s blog and they loved it—they were willing to listening to my ideas even though I was still relatively new to the company.Also, I love my Boss—She went to a Salt n’ Pepper concert last night.”

What’s the most challenging part of your job?“Going to it. Just kidding, the job is a lot of ‘hurry up and wait.’ I have to go through an ‘approval’ process, so I’ll be waiting around and then all of sudden everything needs to get done all at once. I would say that it’s definitely fast paced at in opportune moments. A few things have gone wrong with emails and some have been my fault and some haven’t—and I don’t want them to think that I’m NOT doing my job, but I am doing the best I can and I want to do the best because I am working for a corporate company.”

What’s the most rewarding part of your job?“Probably knowing the right people and having perfect timing. I was kind of shoved in this job really fast and was expected to pick up where the last person had left it. Three weeks into my job, I had to create 60 emails. In Pennsylvania there is no tax on clothes when you purchase them but in Ohio there is like 20% tax on clothes. There is 2 days in the year where clothes are tax free in states where there is usually tax on clothes and I had to create 60 emails for all of the stores in those states. People realized that I stepped up to the plate when needed and I got the job done. My boss has told me I’m good under pressure, so it was really gratifying to know that I was leaps and bounds ahead.”

Any advice to students about to graduate/just graduated college?“Two things. One would be look for ways to use your major in unique ways. Take it and make it what you want. Also, it’s great to have friends in your major. Friends are really good to have to network and they are the same people who are going to want the same things as you do.”

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?I hope to be in NYC or LA and I hope that I’m working for a fashion publication—either digital or paper. Or maybe with cool tattoo.”

What is your dream career?“To be the creative director of a fashion label or magazine. I mean, I’ve thought about becoming my own boss—I would be a cool boss. If someone wanted the day off, I would definitely let them have it.” 

Who is your biggest role model in life?“Everyone in the room: ‘ME!!!’ (Lexie Pelchen, Patty Schuler, Taylor Francis, Maddy Reichel) My famous role model would have to be Sophia Bush because she is a boss ass bitch. She created her company at 23 debt free and she’s now 29 and she’s literally a billionaire.  My real life role model is my older cousin—she is really driven. She knows that she has a lot of potential and she never gives up.And everyone in this room.”

What is your favorite fashion piece in your closet?“Probably my bean boats—they’re the shit—I never not want to wear them. But, also my chartreuse Bell Skirt – not only is it awesome, but it was only two dollars.”

What is one thing you CANNOT live without?“My friends—I love them.  Plus Shane.”

Any last advice for the kids on the street?“Just remember you have the same number of hours in the day as Beyoncé and to never buy something on the sale rack for more than 10 dollars.”