This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Like many others, I moved away from home and started my college life. I did not go ten hours, or five, or even two – instead I moved ten minutes away. I have gotten the question “why” a lot and the answer is simple, because I want to experience the best of both worlds. Here are the benefits I have found in moving away, close to home.

1. I made three brand new friends in college right away: my roommates!

2. I am able to take part in all the clubs and intramural sports I want without going out of my way.

3. My dogs are only a ten minute drive away.

4. I have learned so much about living on my own and being independent.

5. My family is always there when I need them.

6. I can always get a home cooked meal if I need one.

7. I get my own space away from my family (something I wouldn’t get if I lived at home).

8. I get to attend the school I love without missing out on the college experience.

9. I know all the perks of Erie and where all the good food is.

10. I get to grab any cute clothes I couldn’t fit in my closet on short notice.

With all of these pros (and next to no cons), I know that I am exactly where I need to be – doing exactly what I want to do. I am so happy with my decision to move away, close to home.

Photo Sources: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.