This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

I know we are young, so why on earth are we talking about having children?

Because, unfortunately, no one knows the future and it’s time for you to know the truth about childbirth. We all know the basics. Some of us had awkward conversations with our parents, others learned about the subject at school and some even just watched the episode of Friends where Rachel (or Pheobe, or Ericka, or Carol) went through it.

So let’s talk about what we do know. About 9-10 months after getting pregnant, a woman’s water will break,  she will be rushed to the hospital or taken wherever she has planned to give birth. She has to wait till she is 10 cm dilated and then she will push. After experiencing one of the craziest things in her entire life, she will have a little baby. That already sounds like a lot, but what if I told you there is more? Well… here are 8 things you didn’t know about childbirth.  

• When your water breaks, it’s not just a little puddle

Contrary to what many of us has seen on TV shows, your water won’t just break and leave a little puddle. Approximately 2.5 – 3 cups of amniotic fluid will leak out of the soon-to-be mother. In some cases, women may need a doctor to go in manually to break the amniotic sack.

• Birth is a beautiful miracle, but it is by no means pretty

There is a lot going on in that delivery room and pregnant women are going through the hardest thing they will ever do in their life, so it makes sense that things can get a little messy. Some women can experience nausea, vomiting and even the release of bowels while pushing.

• Do you know what an episiotomy is?

An episiotomy is a small cut made by a doctor to expand your opening during childbirth. It does not happen in all cases, however, it does happen and can even happen naturally without the doctor’s help. All though this seems scary, it does happen to a lot of women and it usually gets addressed and stitched up right after delivery.

• Massages that will make you never want a massage ever again

After giving birth. Mothers are told to regularly massage their abdomen in order to help the uterus return to its normal size by releasing liquids. Doing this can also help your doctor, or other caregivers, see if you are experiencing any complications.

• The pushing doesn’t stop after the baby is out

You’ve been in labour for hours and your baby is finally wrapped in a blanket getting cleaned off. Unfortunately, you aren’t quite done. The removal of the placenta is known as the third stage of birth. Although is it quick, it is crucial and not removing it can cause severe bleeding.

• A little squirt bottle may become your new bathroom necessity

After giving birth, our southern regions require very gentle handling. With that, toilet paper is not going to be something you use for a while. Instead, you will have a trusty little squirt bottle that will help you stay clean and healthy. This is especially important for those who have stitches.

• Breastfeeding isn’t always a stroll through the park

Breastfeeding is not easy. To begin with, both a mother and a child need to learn to breastfeed together. Sometimes not everyone will get the hang of everything right off the bat, however, this is something many women experience. In the beginning, it can also be a tad uncomfortable and a bit painful.

• You may not feel the best afterwards, but inside you feel like the baddest b*tch

Post birth, all women should feel like a badass. Your body just went through the most painful, exhausting and torturous night of its life. You sat there, expanded your body and brought an entire human into the world. That’s amazing!

Sorya Nasir

PS Behrend

Native of Santa Clara, CA Senior at Penn State Behrend Management Information Systems Major HerCampus PS Behrend, President Alpha Sigma Alpha