The Las Vegas Shooting: Terrorism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Monday morning, stories flooded the news and social media sites about a tragedy that has shaken the nation. On October 1st, 2017, music fans filled a Las Vegas Music Venue to watch the famous Country singer, Jason Aldean, perform. The concert was, however, interrupted by the sound of gunfire. For about 10 minutes, thousands of people were running for their lives, not knowing what was going on  or where their loved ones were.

The Orlando Nightclub Shooting has been the largest gun related attack in America, killing 49 people and injuring 58 others. Sunday night’s attack at the Route 91 Harvest Festival, reported 59 deaths and more than 520 injured. Millions are now praying for the victims and awaiting an investigation on the suspect along with an inevitable talk about gun control in our country.

The authorities have shared that the shooter was an older Caucasian man who was from Mesquite, NV. He had a room at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino on the 32nd floor, where he aimed his gun out a broken window and made the decision to ruin thousands of people’s lives. Personally, I am a firm believer of not naming attackers and not giving them the fame and recognition that many of them desire. Because of this the shooter will not be named here.

About 2 hours after the chaos started, SWAT entered the hotel room and found the domestic terrorist dead. He was found with more than 16 guns in that suite. Later on, it was revealed that he also had additional 18 firearms, as well as explosives and several thousand rounds of ammunition at his home. Dixie GunWorx is a local gun shop where the gunman had bought the guns that were involved in the shooting. The employee who assisted the attacker, told news reporters that he was an “average, everyday Joe Blow”. He also told them that he had passed the safety and federal checks. After the attack, gun supporters including the famous country guitarist, Josh Abbott, made statements about how this incident should ignite a change involving gun control laws. Abbott has even said, “We need gun control RIGHT. NOW. My biggest regret is that I stubbornly didn’t realize it until my brothers on the road and myself were threatened by it”.    

This event will be one that will definitely change American as we know it. Thousands of people are currently waiting and watching as more is revealed about the event, however, many are doing more than just praying. Hundreds of Vegas residents this morning marched to their local blood bank to donate blood in order to help the victims of the shooting. Many also have donated food and water for victims and have volunteered at local hospitals. Tragedy has been all over the news lately, but maybe this event will be the one that will bring Americans together, working together to help those affected by this horrendous attack and to also fight to make sure an accident like this never happens again.

Her Campus at Penn State Behrend would like to send their condolences to the friends and family members of Denise Burditus, Sandy Casey, Thomas Day Jr., Angela Gomez, Charleston Hartfield, Rhonda LeRocque, Sonny Melton, Adrian Murfitt, Rachael Parker, John Phippen, Quinton Robins, Lisa Romero, Bailey Schweitzer, Susan Smith, Neysa Tonks and the 44 unnamed victims who had their lives taken at this concert.

Image Credits: 1 2 3 4 5

Sorya Nasir

PS Behrend

Native of Santa Clara, CA Senior at Penn State Behrend Management Information Systems Major HerCampus PS Behrend, President Alpha Sigma Alpha
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.