This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

This week’s Profile is one of the most beautiful individuals on Behrend’s campus, inside and out. She’s creative, passionate, hard working and next year’s Her Campus president. I’m pleased to introduce to you, one of my favorite people in the entire world, Kayla A. McEwen! 

• Name: Kayla McEwen
  • Hometown: Plum, Pennsylvania
  • Graduation Year:  2018
  • Age: 19
  • Major: Marketing/Professional Writing
  • Relationship Status: Single
  • Campus Activities: Her Campus, Residence Life, The Behrend Beacon, Alpha Sigma Alpha

Favorites: 

• Favorite Food: Zucchini soup
  • Favorite Color: Blue
  • Favorite Artist/Band: The Dave Matthews Band
  • Favorite Song: Spoon – The Dave Matthews Band
  • Favorite Hobby: Painting
  • Favorite TV Show: Gilmore Girls/Game of Thrones
  • Favorite Person: My mom is my favorite person. She means the world to me even though I don’t tell her that as often as I should. 
  • Favorite Season: Probably fall or spring, they remind me of new beginnings and I love the aesthetic of both seasons. 

This or That:

• Daytime Or Nighttime: Nighttime, it’s when more memories are made.
  • Spoken Word Or Written Word: Written word when it comes to art, I think it can paint such a beautiful picture. There is something wonderful to be said through poetry and novels. Little universes can be created through writing.
  • Instagram Or Twitter: Instagram hands down. I love pictures and photography so it is my favorite form of social media.
  • Salty Or Sweet: Sweet- I love ice cream, chocolate, cake and anything in between.
  • Coffee Or Tea: Both, I honestly could never choose between them because I drink both multiple times a day. I don’t think I could survive without either, especially at 3 AM the day before an exam.
  • Dogs Or Cats: Cats have my heart even though I love dogs almost as much. Although I’m allergic to both… but that never stops me.
  • Books Or Movies: For me, books hold much more emotion and carry their own universes in their bindings.
  • Dressy Or Casual: Dressy, I really love to dress up. When I feel that I look good it helps set a tone for my outlook on the day.

What made you decided to come to Penn State Behrend?

I actually really did not want to come here, even up until move-in day. I had originally wanted to go to school in the city but my parents wanted me to go to Penn State. At first, I wanted to major in International Business and Behrend was the only campus that offered it as a major so that is how I ended up here. Despite how much I was against coming here, I could not be happier with the time I’ve spent at Behrend. I have met some of the most amazing people I could ever dream of from all over the country and the world. The memories and experiences that I have collected are some that I would not trade in for the world. At the end of the day, I am so very happy that I ended up at Behrend. 

When did you first become involved with Her Campus and why?

I actually had no idea what Her Campus was until Lexie (our current president) had begun the process of starting a chapter at Behrend. Originally I wanted to join to support her, but when I found out exactly what the organization was about I fell in love. I love to write, and being able to come up with my own ideas for stories, whether it be about toxicity or tattoos, is something that I really enjoy. Being a part of Her Campus has actually helped me figure out what I wanted to major in.

What is your favorite part about being a Her Campus writer?

I love the freedom of it. We have the ability to pitch story ideas and add our own creative flare to them. It allows me to express myself and have fun at the same time, which is the same for a lot of our members. 

What has Her Campus taught you?

Her Campus has taught me that we can surprise ourselves every day. I never was involved in clubs or activities before coming to college and now I am a club president and involved in a million other things. Her Campus has given me the courage to chase my dreams and has helped me figure out who I am along the way.

You’re an RA, a sister of Alpha Sigma Alpha and (obviously) a Collegiette! How do you balance school, extra curriculars and your social life?

It’s really hard to be honest, I still haven’t found the best balance but that hasn’t stopped me from trying to join more organizations and adding more classes next year. I’ve been learning to prioritize and figure out how to budget my time, especially this past year. Sleep is something I kind of have to make time for, but it really helps me to have a planned out schedule so I’m not running around lost most of the time.

What are your opinions on Feminism?

I am 100% a feminist. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, feminism is defined as “the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes”. I think a lot of individuals forget the actual meaning and create stereotypes about feminists and feminism as a whole. I do not believe woman are greater than men, I know that both genders are equal and deserve equal treatment. Everyone should be a feminist because at the basis of it, feminism just means equality.

What do you hope to do with your degree after graduation? / What is your dream job?

Honestly, I still am trying to figure out what kind of path is best for me. I know I want to travel the world and do something that makes a difference, but what exactly that is, I am still not sure about. The only thing I do know for sure is that whatever I do, I only want to do it if it makes me happy. I’m in between wanting to be a writer and also teaching abroad, so for now I just want to see where the wind will take me.

As the newly elected president, how do you hope to change and grow Her Campus in the years to come?

I really want to help Her Campus grow and become more involved on campus next year. I have a lot of plans for events and fundraisers that are in the works at the moment, as well as many more article ideas. I really want our family to grow and show girls just how much fun it can be to be a Her Campus Collegiate! I have a great team and just know we can do great things.

What is one piece of advice you would like to give our readers?

Follow your heart. Happiness is something that is really easy to come by, you just need to be willing to do what makes you happy despite anyone else’s two cents. Get involved, join clubs and find out what you like. If you do what you love, you’ll love what you do, and that is all you can ask for from life.

Is there anything else you’d like to add?

I am so blessed to have the guidance of our current president Lexie, not only is she an incredible leader, but a friend and role model as well. My time with Her Campus has been so extraordinary and I cannot wait to see what will happen in the future!

We are all so proud of you, Kayla, and I know Her Campus is in great hands. I’m so excited to see what you have in store for the years to come. Get ready, Collegiettes, President Kayla is taking over! HCXO 

Lexie is a senior communication major at Penn State Erie, The Behrend College, specializing in public relations, advertising and social media. She has coined herself as a monogram enthusiast, an unapologetic cat fanatic and a passionate feminist. Lexie started the Her Campus chapter at her school in hopes to leave behind something special to the place that has given her so much. She believes in the power of the written word, a timeless handbag and practicing reckless optimism. To feed her social media addiction, follow her on Twitter and Instagram @leckseepelchen