I’m A Feminist… But I’m Not

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

In September of the year 2014, beloved actress, admired scholar, and powerful UN Women’s Goodwill Ambassador, Emma Watson, gave a speech at the United Nations discussing the HeForShe campaign, which changed my life forever. I always knew that feminism existed, but perceived it as a bad thing. Ms. Watson, her inspiration and her powerful words, turned me into the passionate feminist that I am today. However, rather than telling you why you should jump on the bandwagon and smash the patriarchy, I’d like to follow in Emma’s footsteps, and smash the stigma, drop my ego, and work to change the feminist stereotype. These are the reasons why I feel that I’m a feminist, but I’m not.

I’m a feminist, but I’m not a man hater.

I’m a feminist, but I’m not under the impression that I am better or worse than someone because of my sex.

I’m a feminist, but I’m not seeking revenge.

I’m a feminist, but I’m not ungrateful for, or unaware of all of the influential and powerful men who have helped shape the world, my country, and my life.

I’m a feminist, but I’m not only exclusively pro-women; I am pro-equality.

I’m a feminist, but I’m not ashamed to express my femininity.

I’m a feminist, but I’m not expecting to be paid the same amount of money if I am not willing to do the same amount of work, however, I am not accepting of the fact that in some places, women are paid less, not because they are doing less work, but simply because they are women.

I’m a feminist, but I’m not afraid to fight for the rights of a man, because feminism, by definition, is the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities, not the belief that women believe that they are better than men. 

I’m a feminist, but I’m not trying to push my beliefs on anyone.

I’m a feminist, but I’m not ever denying it. 

Lexie is a senior communication major at Penn State Erie, The Behrend College, specializing in public relations, advertising and social media. She has coined herself as a monogram enthusiast, an unapologetic cat fanatic and a passionate feminist. Lexie started the Her Campus chapter at her school in hopes to leave behind something special to the place that has given her so much. She believes in the power of the written word, a timeless handbag and practicing reckless optimism. To feed her social media addiction, follow her on Twitter and Instagram @leckseepelchen