This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

With spring semester in full gear, it is time for new opportunities.  One of the questions that may be rattling brain your is whether or not to go Greek.  If you decide to take the leap of faith and go out for spring recruitment, you may be skeptical as to what Greek life entails.  Have no fear, because this Collegiette is here to provide you with a spring recruitment survival guide!

When going into spring recruitment, you should do the following:

Keep an open mind- 

Originally, I was against Greek life because of the stereotypes; I did not want to be affiliated with that label. Yet, some of my friends did decide to join.  What blew my mind was that they did not fit my idea of the stereotypical “sorority girl,” you know, the one who lives, eats, and breathes TSM.  Instead, these girls were just like myself.  Spring semester arrived and my curiosity got the best of me so I decided to take the plunge and check out what Behrend’s sororities had to offer. Little did I know, I was about to make one of the best decisions of my entire life.  

Jittery nerves are normal, but don’t let them get the best of you- 

I remember walking up to the sisters of Alpha Sigma Tau shaking like a leaf because I was so nervous to meet them.  It was overwhelming to say the least, but as soon as I started talking to some of them, I felt at ease, I felt at home, and I found a group of girls who allowed me to let my guard down. 

Make connections-

Your connections to the sorority and the sisters needs to feel natural.  When talking to the sisters of Alpha Sigma Tau, I felt as if they genuinely cared about me, and what I had to say.  As our conversations carried on, it felt as if I was talking to an old friend. Don’t force this feeling, if you don’t naturally connect, you probably haven’t found where you belong yet, (but don’t worry, you will!). 

Ask questions-

The sororities want to know your worries and concerns.  I asked Alpha Sigma Tau what service events they partake in and what their academic plan looks like.  Through my questions, I was able to see that these women cared about academics and service as much as I do. Don‘t be afraid to ask the girls what you’re thinking, it’s important to know all of the details before making a life-long commitment. However, if you are too afraid to ask the girls upfront, you can always ask your Rho Gamma! 

Be yourself-

This might be the most important piece of advice that I have to offer. Sororities are looking for girls that fit their values and beliefs.  If you be yourself, you will surely find a sorority that fits with you. You want a sister who is willing to go to the library with your for a study date, someone who will have a dance party with you for no reason, someone who always has your back, and is always encouraging you to be the best version of you that you can be; that is sisterhood. You can’t find where you truly belong if you’re trying to put up an act. You will know you’re faking it, and the sister will know too… PS, you’re already amazing, so there’s no need to be anyone but yourself! 

Happy recruitment, Collegiettes, and may the bids be ever in your favor! 

Marissa Knox

PS Behrend

~Fashionista who drinks so much coffee that she can be a barista.~ Communication Major Marketing Minor PSU '17 Vice President of Community Relations for Alpha Sigma Tau