How to Handle Homesickness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

How To Handle Being Homesick:

Because home is where the heart is

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I get to hear how excited everyone is to go back home and finally get a break from school, a feeling I can relate to, to a certain extent. Don’t get me wrong, I love this time of the year, but this is the time where I also start to feel unbelievably homesick. This is the time when I start missing my family like crazy, my bed, warm weather and I start getting weird midnight cravings. It sucks. But, thankfully, each year it gets easier. Each year I learn new ways to cope with my sadness and I find a way to get out of bed and be grateful for everything I have. It hasn’t been easy, but I’ve found ways to stay positive until I get to go home again! Below, I’ll be sharing with you guys some tips and tricks I’ve learned over the years.

1. Distract yourself: Whether it’s by going outside for a walk, reading a book or doing origami, find a way to distract yourself. By taking your mind off of those sad thoughts, you can focus on everything positive in the moment.

1. Establish a routine: If you establish a routine earlier in the semester, it’ll be easier for you to carry out your days and get stuff done. Usually, when you start getting homesick you let that falter and allow yourself to become more disorganized.

1. Stay active: Workout! I know you already know this, but I’m gonna say it one more time: when you work out, you release hormones that make you happy! So why not help yourself and do something that will make you feel good(afterwards)?

1. Meet new people: Last year, my psychology professor told me the more people we have in our friend group, the happier we are. I thought about it for a second and then asked her why was that, and she told me it was because the more people we feel like we can go to with our problems, the safer and comfortable we feel. We all need friends to be there for us when we’re feeling low, because they’re the ones that help us get up and keep going. I know there are days where I really don’t wanna get out of bed, but if it wasn’t for my friends asking me to meet them for lunch or go adventure somewhere, I would most likely stay there. So, go out and make new friends! You won’t regret it!

1. Thank your lucky stars for Skype, FaceTime, Viber, Whatsapp and basically all technology: Learn to set aside a time of the day, or week, to talk to your family and friends. It will make them feel appreciated and you will feel so much better afterwards.

1. Remind yourself why you are here: It’s so easy to forget that the main reason I’m in the U.S. is to study. Whether you’re travelling for pleasure or studying abroad, keep reminding yourself why you chose this. It helps if you keep a diary or document your journey somehow, whether it’s by social media or taking pictures. Record your journey so when you’re feeling low, you can see how far you’ve come.

1. Celebrate your culture’s holidays: This can easily be done, whether your friends share your culture or not. Every November, I offer to cook for my friends my country’s national dishes and they love it! Feeling this warm acceptance and support from your friends will cheer you up.

2. Turn off your newsfeed: Sometimes, the last thing you need to see is how much you’re “missing out on.” So, log off your social media for a while or put the phone down and disconnect. Truthfully, you might not be missing out on anything. Embrace whatever might be happening around you and stay in the moment. Instagram and Facebook can wait.

1. Do something for someone at home: The holiday season is right around the corner! Go shopping for gifts or souvenirs for your loved ones back home. It will give you a purpose and it’s a nice way to stay connected with everyone back home.

1. Cry: Just cry it out. Don’t feel bad because you’re feeling sad and need to cry. Don’t feel guilty, don’t feel weak, don’t feel bad. Sitting down and having a good cry from time to time can work miracles for you, especially if you’re like me and hold everything in. If you’re not a crier, then watch a nice, sad movie and let it all out, man. I promise it’ll make you feel better.  

1. Record your journey: This goes back to what I said before, but don’t let the sadness take control of life and make you miss out on all the wonderful things that are happening around you. Whether you take pictures, write, record videos, or anything else – document your time and experience, it will be worth it.

1. Go somewhere new once a month: Whether it’s travelling 3h away from campus or walking around a part of campus you’ve never been before, go somewhere you’ve never been before. This is great for getting away for a little bit and getting some perspective, and it’ll help you feel new and fresh!

Don’t forget, it’s ok to feel sad and miss home from time to time, but don’t let it drag you down! You’re here for a reason, Collegiette! Don’t let the blues get the best of you.

Gif Credit: 1 2 3 4 5

Photo Credit: 1

Andrea Gáez

PS Behrend '19

From Panama.xx
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.