Hansel Lobo 18′

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

This week’s Campus Profile is Hansel Lobo! You can find him in the SGA office, Bruno’s, or hanging out all over campus. 

Name: Hansel Lobo      

Age:20

Year: Junior

Major: Computer Engineering

Relationship Status: Single

Hometown:  Abu Dhabi, U.A.E. and Mangalore, India

Campus Involvement: I am currently involved with the Student Government Association, International Student Organization and the 3D Printing Club. I always try to involve myself in as many clubs and organizations on campus as possible because it’s a great way to meet new people and learn new things.

Considering the fact that you’re an international student, why did you choose to come to Behrend?

I came across Behrend when I was exploring the Penn State system. Its small class sizes and software engineering program really appealed to me. I joined Behrend with the 2+2 program in mind which meant transferring to University Park. However, Behrend offered me many opportunities which made me want to stay.

So you’re Vice President of SGA, what made you decide to run? 

It was never my plan to join the SGA, let alone run for office. One of my closest friends, Moustafa Elhadary, asked me to accompany him to an SGA meeting and it really peaked our interest. This lead to me being a senator and it was just a great experience to see the change that the student body can bring into effect. One day Moustafa asked me if I was interested in running in the elections with him and the rest is really history. It turned out that Moustafa and I had our own vision for Behrend and it seemed like a great opportunity.

Do you have any exciting plans for your position or SGA in general?

I really want to see the SGA interacting with more students. The student body has a voice and it’s really surprising what you could accomplish with that. Besides that, I would like to make Jordan Road safe again! I see a lot of potential with the newly elected Senate so I hope this will be a good year for me and the Behrend community.

What are your future career plans?

I plan to graduate with a Computer Engineering degree and start working as soon as possible. A Master’s Degree is something that I am looking towards but I feel I would like to have some experience under my belt. It’s very early to tell but I’m still trying to figure things out.

What advice would you give to new students as they head into starting their college career?

College is a new experience and a lot of the freshmen will be overwhelmed. I would suggest deciding on a goal as soon as possible. Visualizing an end goal always helps when there are distractions all around you. College is also a place to make new friends, try getting out of your comfort zone and interact with the people around you. Chances are you both have much more in common than you thought. If not, it’s always nice to learn from someone who come from a different background. Take the time to know the people around you..  professors, R.A.’s, that kid with pumped up kicks. Everyone is a great resource and one must make the most of it!

Do you have a celebrity crush? 

Not really. I end up switching mine regularly so it’s really hard to keep track.

Describe yourself in 3 words. 

Calm, Distracted, Efficient?

Thanks for talking to us, Hansel! We cannot wait to see all the wonderful things you will be doing for our campus! HCXO

Abby Lawton

PS Behrend

Communication major at Penn State Behrend | ΘΦΑ avid concert-goer, frequent coffee consumer, and aspiring music publicist ready to leave her mark on the world. lover of fuzzy blankets, mascara, and sunflowers. 
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.