This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

December is here! And with this wonderful month comes snow, Christmas decorations, gifts and my favorite: cheesy Hallmark movies on continuous loop everyday. If you’re an avid Hallmark movie fan you know there are some patterns you tend to pick up on. Here’s a list of some of the biggest trends in cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies, which basically is evidence that a need to get a life.

1. Candace Cameron Bure (aka DJ from Full House) is basically the spokesperson for the Hallmark channel. She’s in a lot of their “big” premieres and even hosts viewing events on the channel.

1. Many past teen stars are now featured on the Hallmark channel frequently. Like Danica McKellar from The Wonder Years, Lacey Chabert from Mean Girls, Alexa Penavega from Spy Kids, Carlos Penavega from Big Time Rush, Alison Sweeny from Days of Our Lives, Lori Loughlin from Full House, Kimberly Williams-Paisley from Father of the Bride, Bethany Joy Lenz and Hilarie Burton from One Tree Hill. There’s plenty of familiar faces on the Hallmark channel.

1. They reuse A LOT of actors for many different parts in a bunch of movies each year. The worst is if you fall asleep during a Hallmark movie marathon and fall into what I like to call the “Hallmark movie matrix”, where you see the same female lead living a different life in a different storyline. It can definitely get confusing sometimes.

1. Almost ALL of the plots to each movie are the same.

1. Many of the women are hard-working, workaholics, living in the big city but come from a small town, who doesn’t like to celebrate Christmas anymore.

1. The small towns almost always have some type of Christmas name, even if it’s subtle like Evergreen.

1. The men are almost always some hunky, small town guy who for some reason was once married and now is widowed with a child.

1. They never explain how old any of the main characters are.

1. The romantic pairing will never kiss until the last scene, they come close throughout the movie, but always get interrupted until the ending.

1. Everyone’s name is somehow linked to Christmas in subtle ways like Holly or Nick.

Make sure to tune into Hallmark this year to see all the cheesy shenanigans that ensues, and follow along with the Hallmark Christmas movie drinking game to have some extra fun.

Megan Kirk

PS Behrend '21

Cheerleading. Boybands. True Crime. Makeup. College Football. Basic AF.
Andrea Gáez

PS Behrend '19

From Panama.xx