This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Searching for the perfect graduation outfit is hard- Do you go traditional with a white dress? Do something a little edgier? How do you look good in a giant blue gown? Here’s some ideas for how to express yourself at graduation!

1. Take into account your gown color

If you are wearing a green graduation gown you don’t want to wear something that would clash with it- or really any color gown. My graduation gown is a dark blue, so I am wearing a lighter blue print with a hot pink heel that will pop against the blues. A friend of mine is wearing a red gown so she’s opting for a cream dress with a cute lace overlay.

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants graduation scene
Warner Bros. Pictures

1. Decide if you want to see the dress under the gown

For winter graduation, a turtleneck is a solid option for a little pop under the gown. In the spring, though, a cute maxi dress grazing out underneath the bottom of your gown with give a pop of pattern and texture to the otherwise blob that you would be wearing across the stage.

seven graduates throwing their hats
Unsplash

1. Get it with enough time to give yourself options

If you are going to order a dress online, make sure to give yourself enough time to try on and return the dress. There’s nothing more nerve-wracking than being under the wire with no other options or being uncomfortable in your outfit.

So, what do you wear?

Photo by Diana Simumpande for Unsplash

The classic white dress: I appreciate the tradition of the classic white dress, and I think there’s something to be said about the elegance of how it looks. Plus, for how simple a LWD (the LBD’s cousin) is, there are so many variations to choose from. I prefer a solid white with an interesting cut, maybe a slight shoulder pad if we’re getting crazy. Lace or mesh overlays are also cute, but be careful about any cutouts. The updated version of the classic white dress: I enjoy this option for the graduation dress. A white dress with a fun, subtle print is perfect for a May graduation. Keep it flowy to really embrace the spring season. I’m also a big proponent of a bold option- a fun pant or a solid skirt and top combo. By opting out of the classic dress, you are opening up so many more options to your graduation style.

Communication Major at Penn State Behrend Intersectional Feminist Do More Of What Makes You Happy
Ramsey Struble

PS Behrend '21

Penn State Behrend//Biology Pre-Optometry