This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

So here’s the thing: relationships are great, but I feel like people seem to forget about the other important relationships in their lives, especially during this month. Read: your friends. I know that without my gal-pals (i.e. my soul mates) I would be utterly lost in this crazy world. They keep me grounded, headed in the right direction, and always smiling.

I have this theory about love; it occurs in three stages. First stage love is type of love (usually) reserved for friends, family, and close acquaintances, where you want them to be happy and want what’s best for them. Second stage love is how you feel about your S.O. when you realize you love them, when you are in love with them. Third stage love is when you think about them constantly, while at the same time wondering if they are thinking about you, and you would do literally anything for them, even die if you had to. This is how I feel about my friends; I third-stage-love them.

I have been so incredibly lucky to have such beautiful, strong, independent, and funny women to call my best friends. Now, I tell my friends that I love them probably one million times a day, but sometimes I feel like that is not enough. For this reason, I am choosing to celebrate Galentine’s Day this year and to take this holiday of L.O.V.E. to show my appreciation and affection to my girl-friends, and I think you should too.

Now let me clarify, I am not some bitter, single, twenty-fun year old who is salty about being alone this Valentine’s Day, because honestly, I have nothing to be salty about. This weekend, rather than being upset because there are so many couples in love, I’m choosing to be happy that I have the best friends a girl could ask for; friends who I will celebrate with in the best way we know how… by eating heart-shaped pizzas (and donuts) while watching cheesy movies on Netflix, and probably sobbing our eyes out. 

My advice to everyone (single, taken, etc.) is to remember the people who are there for you no matter what and celebrate your friendship with them. Because at the end of the day, “uteruses before duderuses,” and I am so thankful for them. 

Happy Galentine’s Day, Collegiettes.

HCXO

As a senior biology major, Taylor is a self-proclaimed feminist with a passion for commas, donuts, and her dog.