sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

E(e)rie Horror Stories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

If you’re in Erie for college, you may not know that it’s considered to be a pretty haunted place. It might be good to know about some of the crazy places you should probably avoid around Halloween, or go to if you’re feeling adventurous.

Ax Murder Hollow

The legend behind Ax Murder Hollow is that there was a crazed ax murderer in the woods. There have been rumors of sightings of one of the victims running and screaming in horror. Some people have even claimed to see the murderer himself. There is no actual evidence of any of these claims, but it has gained the reputation as the most haunted location in Erie, PA.

Mercyhurst University

Apparently, the Old Main Tower which is located on the Mercyhurst campus used to serve as a convent in the early 20th century. There is a legend of a nun who joined the convent when she received word that her lover had been killed in the war. Apparently her lover never actually died and when he returned, it was too late for her to leave. She went crazy and was locked in the tower where she eventually committed suicide. In her honor, they placed a ring that belonged to her at the bottom of a statue. As legend has it, anyone who was in possession of the ring died within 5 years of having it. It has since been locked up but will occasionally reappear out of no-where. Some people even claim that they see the nun walking the halls.

St. Paul’s Cathedral

This church is said to be haunted by the ghost of Sarah, a young girl who was killed in a car accident nearby. Her ghost is said to still linger and move large objects when no one is around. Some people have also claimed to hear her laughter and hear the organ play on its own.

Gannon University

Gannon University has been rumored to be haunted for a few different reasons. One of the most popular places for creepy incidences is in one of the frat houses. Apparently, at one Halloween party, a dark figure followed one person up the stairs and then tipped his hat to them and disappeared. Weird stuff started happening like windows and doors closing on their own. Then the figure reappeared and told everyone to leave the house immediately before disappearing again.

Erie Cemetery

The Erie Cemetery is one of the most well-known haunted locations in Erie. There is a circle of tombstones near the entrance to the cemetery arranged in a circle, without any explanation. This is believed to be a “witches circle.” Some of these tombstones even have scorch marks on them and appear to be burned. There is a legend that says Satan himself pulled some of his worshipers underground at this location. There are also some very old mausoleums which are said to house ghosts, demons, and even vampires. People claim to hear noises and voices during the night near these locations.

Image Credits: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Hi I'm Alex! I'm currently majoring in Marketing but my true passions are fashion and writing. I hope to merge those two loves into a marketing job one day. I hope my articles are both enjoyable and meaningful to readers. Happy reading 
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.