This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

The Edge of Seventeen came out in 2016. So, it is 3 years old but it is relevant since it is on Netflix. I mean isn’t that how you classify movies and tv shows as relevant if they are on Netflix? Haha I’m kidding…well sorta idk. But what I do know is that I watched the whole movie on Netflix and I have a lot to say.

First, I have to say the movie was great. I loved it! It was funny and so relatable. Hailee Steinfeld nailed the part of the older awkward teen girl. We all have been there. Having feelings for the bad boy and not knowing how to approach that subject. The student-faculty relationship they showed in the movie is relatable to a certain extent as well. Most of us had a teacher who we really opened up to and had a really good relationship with,  If you’re really open like me, most teachers knew way too much about you and your life. But at least I hope they got a laugh….

The movie also showed a rocky longtime friendship. We have all been there. This friend we had for years is our ride or die but you are so stressed about everything in your life, so when that friend does something that unintentionally pisses you off, you lose it. You avoid them and you’re an a-hole to them for a while until you or your friend or both come to your senses. Then you make up and catch up and forgive one another. That’s life and definitely a part of high school when we are all so impulsive and dumb.

Source

So as you can tell, the movie is super relatable and might bring up memories of your own. I know it did for me. Especially toward the middle/end of the movie. There is a scene (slight spoiler (nothing too dramatic)) where Hailee Steinfeld is with the bad boy in his car. She wants to get to know him and he is just being a dick and wants some action. She is confused with her feelings but eventually realizes the guy is a jerk. And then she gets out of the car and pretty much screams, “I hope you hit a tree in this piece of shit! I hope you get fucking paralyzed!”. And that hit home for me. I mean I didn’t say those words exactly but I felt that so hard when she said that.

We all remember when we said or felt something along those lines to that a-hole guy. Maybe it was the drunk boy at the party who did something or the person that ghosted you without giving you closure, etc. For me, it was when I had a boy break up with me for the first time. I’ll keep it short but it was unexpected and I really did like him, but he broke up with me in my car. I immediately started crying and I was confused, hurt, and angry. During this, he was trying to explain, trying to comfort me and say we can be friends and all that sh*t. All that while I was thinking in my head, GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY CAR! That literally was all on my mind while my ex kept talking. Unfortunately and surprisingly didn’t have the balls to say it. But if I could redo it, I would for sure scream it at the top of my lungs. My a-hole ex would have deserved it. And that is why I resonated so well with that one scene out of all of them.

Source

So, if you get anything out of my review, just go watch the movie. It is fantastic and will make you laugh so hard.  

Source

All GIFs and images courtesy to Google Images.

Julia Fitzgibbon

PS Behrend '22

Sophomore at Penn State Behrend Nutrition major with a biology minor Professional procrastinator with a coffee addiction Workout and dog enthusiast
Sorya Nasir

PS Behrend

Native of Santa Clara, CA Senior at Penn State Behrend Management Information Systems Major HerCampus PS Behrend, President Alpha Sigma Alpha