This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Makeup can be $$$, so if you could save a little of that textbook money, wouldn’t you want to? We’ve found a few of these hacks ourselves, but don’t worry! We know how to share!

Nicole Norfolk:

Although all of my makeup is drugstore makeup, my ultimate favorite makeup item in my cosmetic bag is the contour pallette by Eyes Lips Face (E.L.F.) that I get for about $6 – usually from Target, but it can be found at Walmart as well. I started using it back in April because I appreciate a good contour and love cheap makeup so I figured I had nothing to lose. From the moment I put it on, I fell in love with it and I have been a dedicated user of the pallette since that very day. It goes on so well and looks just as good as a more expensive option would. I use the pallette to help hide the bags under my eyes (lack of sleep really doesn’t do me any favors) as well as what it was actually made for. When I use it I feel more confident because it makes me feel worth a million bucks even while fitting the budget of a broke college student. Gorgeous and affordable, this is why I encourage all of my friends to try it too!

Andrea Gáez:

As someone who has sensitive skin and has always struggled with acne and scarring, I’m always looking for base products that will give me the coverage that I want, while still making my skin look like, well, skin. This hasn’t always been easy since the foundations that I look for tend to be on the heavier coverage side, making my skin look cakey and feel heavy. In the past, I stuck strictly to high-end products, knowing that I had a lower risk of suffering an allergic reaction or a breakout. However, over the last year and a half, I’ve dipped my toes in the drugstore makeup pool and I have to admit, I’m ready for more. Lately, my foundation routine has consisted of Maybelline’s Fit Me! Matte + Poreless Foundation and L’Oréal’s Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation. I know it might be a little excessive to mix both foundations, but I love how the Fit Me! foundation feels on my skin and the Infallible Pro-Matte gives me coverage and staying power like no other! Plus, on the days that I know I’ll have to wear makeup for +5 hours, I’ll top my makeup off with L’Oréal’s Infallible Pro-Spray (a great dupe for Urban Decay’s All Nighter Setting Spray) and my makeup will stay flawless all. day. long. I’m not kidding. This foundation and setting spray combo has made my makeup look great whether I’m watching a sappy rom-com or at last weekend’s Kanye West concert. Highly recommended!

Annie Domaracki:

Covergirl Clump Crusher: For starters the packaging is nice and the green is appealing to the eye. When you open it up, the curved wand makes it great to adapt to the curvature of the lashes. This also makes it easier to apply, which I definitely take advantage of the shape when putting it on. When you put it on, it may take a few coats to fully apply, but it lengthens the lashes and avoids clumping – but who would be all that surprised since it IS called a clump crusher. As you put it on, you should try and avoid getting it on your eyelids as that can be annoying, especially if you put eyeshadow on before. (which has happened to me countless times) This is the best mascara I’ve had in a while because of the length it provides my lashes and it was an overall great purchase. 10/10

Kayla McEwen:

Anyone who knows me KNOWS the two things I focus on are one: eyeliner, and two: lipstick. I am an avid wearer of the classic cat-eye style and take the painstaking amount of time out of each day to create it. I have tried it all. Fancy brands, cheap brands, foreign brands – but my all time favorite would have to be L’Oréal’s Infallible The Super Slim black eyeliner. Not only does the felt-tip pen allow for an easy application, but it also helps smooth away those nasty liner bumps and runs for only around $8-$9. Now I do use an eyeshadow base to keep all my hardwork in place, but that does not take away from how easy this liner is to use. But what is a cat-eye look without a nice shade of lipstick to match it? Lately I could swear by either Katy Perry’s Katy Kat Matte Lipstick or any of NYX’s matte selection. Both range anywhere from $5-$9 depending on the type,  but let me tell you, they are SO worth it. I love the current matte lipstick trend and through all my searching and trying, I would have to say these are my favorite brands. You don’t always have to splurge to get that “in” look, sometimes you just have to do a little experimenting!

We hope these little suggestions can not only help your makeup bag, but your wallet as well! Happy saving Collegiettes, HCXO.

Photo Credits: 1

Nicole Norfolk

PS Behrend '18

Nicole is on her victory lap at Penn State Behrend and is looking forward to graduating with a degree in Communication and Media Studies. In her (limited) spare time, Nicole enjoys reading and binging on the latest Netflix shows. She also manages multiple social media accounts for local organizations and is an opinion editor for Behrend's newspaper. When she isn't downing margaritas, she is usually stressing about what it is she wants to do with her life after she graduates... if you have any suggestions, DM her some ideas for her to kill time with when she becomes an official adult in December. Twitter @nicolenorfolk Instagram @nicolenorfolk
Andrea Gáez

PS Behrend '19

From Panama.xx
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.