Dress to Impress Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

It’s Thursday morning, you have a 9:05 class to get ready for, so what are you going to wear? Certainly not sweatpants or a hoodie.  The last thing you want is to look like a slob kabob. Now, I don’t know about you, but I dress to impress…myself. It doesn’t matter if it’s 75 degrees or -5 degrees, you can usually spot me in a dress or a skirt.  Now, you’re probably thinking, why bother? I bother because dressing nice boosts my self-confidence. Yes, I said it, I dress for myself.  Crazy to think right? And you should too.

Whether people want to admit it or not, your outfit says a lot about you and how you value yourself. If you look put together at all times, people may think you are a force to be reckoned with. Your style might be taken as sass, but hey, sassy girls get shit done! Since I started dressing for myself, I have become a much more driven and daring individual.   

I’ve come to notice that your outfit choice has the power to affect your attitude. For instance, the Behrend Plague hits us all as the seasons transition.  I for one, vow to not look like a dying walrus when I am sick, even if I feel like one.   My philosophy is that if you dress well, you feel well.  Sure, you may be fighting off the plague, but you won’t look like you are.  If you dress well, you are showing everyone that you’re strong even if you feel weaker than a shopaholic in a clothing store.  

One of my favorite misconceptions is that guys actually think ladies dress for them.  Sorry to break it to you fellas, but I am not dressing for your satisfaction.  Sure, it is a bonus if I catch your eye, but I am not pining for it. Fashion designer, Betsey Johnson states,“ Girls don’t dress to impress boys, they dress to ‘out-dress’ other girls. If they were trying to impress boys, they would run around naked.” I couldn’t agree more. 

Unfortunately, girls are always comparing themselves to one another. That kind of mindset is harmful, and we should work to change that. Style is a form of expression and a tool, that if utilized correctly, can build confidence. If you’re confident with your outfit, you have the power to move mountains and even conquer the world!  In a world full of negativity, we should be kind to ourselves.  What better way to be kind to yourself than by wearing clothes that look great on you and make you feel great?

As tomorrow approaches, I want you to do me and yourself a favor:  Dress for yourself.  Who knows, one outfit can have the power to change your life.  As Miranda Priestly from The Devil Wears Prada would say, “that is all”.

Marissa Knox

PS Behrend

~Fashionista who drinks so much coffee that she can be a barista.~ Communication Major Marketing Minor PSU '17 Vice President of Community Relations for Alpha Sigma Tau