photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Campus Celebrity: Josiah Makay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Josiah, known around campus for his exuberant personality and unique hobbies, is this week’s Campus Celebrity. He is famous around Behrend for his favorite mode of transportation!

Tell me about yourself, Josiah. What is your major, your year, and what are you involved in on campus?

“I’m a sophomore Architectural Engineering major. I’m also a brother of Triangle Fraternity.”

What is your dream job?

“Eventually I would like to engineer larger buildings, because I’ve always been interested in how they are able to remain stable despite their size.”

What are some of your hobbies?

“Normally I like to do things that are a bit challenging like unicycling, skateboarding, snowboarding, and gymnastics. “

How long have you been unicycling?

“A little over two years now!”

Did you pick it up quickly or did it take a while learn?

“It didn’t take very long to pick up, I think it took something like an hour of trying to get to the point where I would ride for about a minute without falling off. From there though, it took quite a while for me to be able to ride around without falling off or anything.”

Did you decide on your own that you were interested in unicycling, or did someone get you into it?

“It was a combination of both. One day I was hanging out with a friend and he had mentioned that earlier he was trying one out at a bike shop, so we started talking more about it and how cool it would be to actually learn how to ride unicycles. That night both of us bought one.”

Because you have such a unique and interesting hobby, do people ever comment on it around campus?

“Occasionally people will say something or they will just stare at me, but for the most part I think people are used to it by now.”

Do you think people should try unicycling? Or do you like that it is an uncommon skill that you have?

“I really think that more people should try it because it’s a lot of fun and it is unlike anything else out there. Also, it’s much more fun to unicycle with others!”

Thanks, Josiah, for this awesome interview! We look forward to seeing you around campus, hopefully on your unicycle, before the snow comes!

Photo Credit

As a senior biology major, Taylor is a self-proclaimed feminist with a passion for commas, donuts, and her dog.