Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Butt Plugs: A Fun Way to Frolic In The Fanny

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Butt stuff. Sin docking. The sex God can’t see. It all boils down to one word: anal. Of course, anal can be enjoyed without the assistance of a butt plug, but butt plugs make it so much more fun. When I started having anal sex, I had no idea what butt plug was best for me. I did a tiny bit of research, but ultimately the first butt plug I had was a gag gift from my Secret Santa. It was pink and glittery and it sucked. It would not stay in which I never realized could legitimately be an issue. After that, my boyfriend bought me a trainer pack off of Amazon after I jokingly sent him a BuzzFeed listicle about sex toys that were on sale. But then he moved and threw them out… new city, new butt plug! Now that you know about my butt plug background, you can trust me more with my suggestions!

Source

Butt plugs come in many shapes, styles, and materials which makes shopping for one both exciting and overwhelming. Do you want a glass one or a plain silicone black one? Do you want your asshole to shine when the lights hits it with a jeweled one or live out your unicorn dreams with a tail?

Source

There are roughly five different materials to choose from when you’re purchasing your butt plug:

1. Silicone: you can purchase a hard or soft one; however, this material typically requires more lube. It is also picky about the types of lubes you use, just as most silicone sex toys are.

2. Glass: this is my personal favorite. It’s nice because it uses less lube (which I personally think makes it more enjoyable) and it’s honestly just prettier to look at. You can buy a variety of colors and they’re honestly just really fun to look at. I also think they’re easier to clean.

3. Ceramic: although I personally have never used a ceramic butt plug, it does not seem to be much different than glass other than it being lighter and just a little bit better for temperature play.

4. Metal: obviously metal is going to be heavier than glass and ceramic. It is also good for temperature play because of how well and easily you can heat and cool it.

5. PVC, Rubber/Jelly, and TPR: these cannot be fully sterilized (which you definitely don’t want to put back in since its gross) and the PVC and Rubber can be especially irritating for people with latex allergies. Although this is your cheaper option, when it comes to putting things inside of you, this is not where you want to become careless.

New to the butt plug game? It is typically recommended that you get a 1” wide butt plug or nothing wider than 1.4”. As you get more comfortable, you can move up in size. You should also put thought into the base of the plug and pick one based on what you plan to use it for. If you are planning on wearing it casually throughout the day, you should get a plug that will stay in. When it comes to the best neck and base for you, it is best to play around with the different options and research to see what would be the most comfortable and easiest to use based off of what you’re planning on doing it with it in as well as the size of your butt.

Source

However you choose to enjoy your new toy, make sure you wash it after every use and that you play it safe. No one wants to injure their butthole so if something doesn’t feel quite right, don’t be afraid to slow things down or take a break. Remember, this is something fun to do by yourself or with a partner, you don’t need to take a butt plug (or a dick) like a porn star.

Source