This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Emma:             

Fall is the season where I peak. I love everything from fashion to the cold temperatures. What I love the most is the food. Unlike other seasons, autumn has its own flavors such as cinnamon, apples, and pumpkins.

I don’t generally like desserts, but I make an exception for apple crisp. It’s a simple and delicious recipe that is very easy to make. If you get a kit from the grocery store, it requires very few ingredients: apples and butter. I have used these kits before, and they are super easy!! I would recommend using one of these just because it makes the overall preparation a lot easier. This recipe usually bakes for around 35 to 45 minutes and can be served right away.

As I said, I don’t usually opt for desserts, I enjoy savory appetizers and entrees much more. Being in college makes it harder to have any homemade snacks ever. Over the past weekend, my boyfriend and I attempted a simple and easy fall snack. I browsed Pinterest (everyone’s go-to recipe spot) for something simple that could be made right in my dorm. I didn’t think it was possible, but it actually turned out exceptionally well. We made a Cheddar Bacon Dip- to be served with chips.

It was extremely easy to do with limited supplies. We went to Wegmans and bought the ingredients and a dish to serve it in. I have a simple set of dishes and silverware in my dorm that made the rest possible. To make this recipe, it requires peppers and onions, sour cream, cream cheese, shredded Mexican blend cheese, and bacon to top it off with. No baking was needed, and it only took about 20 minutes to prepare. It served about six people and was quite a hit amongst college students who missed homemade food. I would encourage everyone to spice up their routine at college and make something to get into the fall season.

Olivia:

Every time the weather starts to get colder and it becomes night time far earlier I turn into Julia Childs. I get this hankering to cook, and I often do most of my cheffing between the months of October and February. That being said, I’ve really started to venture off to cook things without a recipe, or I’ve begun to have to get creative about food because I’m broke and need to use up all my groceries before I go buy more. So, most of my fall recipes involve a little it more work but are overall tastier – and cheaper- for it! This recipe, though, is my personal favorite… and one that I made up!

Veggie Noodle Soup with Homemade Eggs Noodles

As a rule, I am terrible at cooking meat. I like to say that when I’m cooking for myself I’m a vegetarian. That being said, I still crave the warmth and hominess of chicken noodle soup. This recipe is super simple, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to make a large amount of food for super cheap.

Ingredients:

Broth:

Oil (Any mild oil will do, I use olive oil)

3 or 4 Cloves Garlic

½ Large Onion, or 1 Small Onion (I use white onion in this recipe, but it really doesn’t matter)

2 Carrots

2 Celery Stalks

One Box Veggie Broth (~4 Cups)

Water

Seasoning to taste

Egg Noodles:

½ Cup of Milk

1 Tbsp. Butter

2 ½ Cups of Flour

1 Pinch of Salt

2 Eggs

Directions:

I start by making my noodles because they need time to rest.

First, stir together flour and salt then make a little hole in the middle of the mixture. I beat the 2 eggs then pour them into the bowl with the milk and the softened butter. From there, I just start mixing; first with a utensil and then with my hands. When it gets kind of goopy I put it on the counter with flour and knead the dough until it’s smooth. When it can form into a ball, I wrap it in clingwrap and then let it rest for 20 minutes.

While the dough is resting, I start chopping my vegetables. I mince the garlic, peel and cut the carrots and celery into bite-size pieces, and then I cut the dice the onion.

image from: https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/vegetarian-noodle-soup/d52326de-0a8f-4…

Emma Cronk

PS Behrend '23

I am currently a freshman at Penn State Behrend, studying to be an Accountant. I enjoy coffee, Drake, and dressing up!
Communication Major at Penn State Behrend Intersectional Feminist Do More Of What Makes You Happy
Ramsey Struble

PS Behrend '21

Penn State Behrend//Biology Pre-Optometry