Style > Decor

Welcome Home: College Dorm Room Decorating Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

The school year is looking bright in Friartown as we enter back into fully in-person classes, clubs, and events! One of the most fun parts of returning to PC, for me at least, is decorating your fresh, new, dorm room! Here are some fun tips to make your living space on (or off) campus feel like your second home:

1. Give your room a theme.

Having a specific vibe for your room will make it look put together, and the ideas for themes are endless! You can do something nature-based like my housemates did for our living room, a specific color theme, or anything that is cute and matches your personality.

2. Order posters and decorations from Redbubble, Etsy, or anywhere online.

Posters can be based on your favorite singer, show, movie, something that is unique to you, or even a picture based on your hometown! You can also get other things from places like Target or Amazon, like string lights, vines, or a pretty tapestry!

3. Print out pictures of friends, family, and your home.

This can create a special and unique side to your space, as well as give a reminder for the people that love you and are rooting for you while you’re away in college.

4. Organize your space!

Invest in storage bins and an ottoman to keep everything clean and organized. You can utilize under your bed to put things away, desk drawers, and even a small bookshelf to keep everything where it is supposed to be. After all, it’s nearly impossible to thrive if your place is a mess!

5. Get some nice throw pillows and stuffed animals for your area.

Throw pillows can match the theme of your room or simply make your bed look nicer. If you aren’t a fan of that, you can always let out your inner child and put a couple of stuffed animals on your bed or a pillow chair to feel comfortable while doing work.

6. Take advantage of events at PC that give away free stuff.

PC hosts a lot of events for students to bond and have fun outside of the classroom. Many of these events give us souvenirs that can spice up your room. Depending on the event, you can bring home succulents, goldfish, or your own DIY decoration that will be perfect for the dorm!

7. Get a Friartown banner to show some school spirit!

This may sound like a basic cliche, but showing off that Friar spirit can help you fit right in and show off your school. The bookstore has different sizes of banners, so even if it’s something subtle for the room, it adds to your lovely Friartown home for the next year.

These are just a few tips and ideas to make your dorm or apartment feel like your new home, but the possibilities are limitless! Show off your creative side and make your place your own!

Alyssa Marcus

Providence '23

Alyssa is a senior Political Science major with a Spanish minor at Providence College and co-president for Her Campus! She is also involved in PC's Mock Trial Team, Admissions Ambassadors, and Student Alumni Association. In her free time, she loves photography, traveling, and exploring coffee shops in Downtown Providence!