This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

*SPOILERS AHEAD* 

Wandavision is the newest Disney+ original series apart of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It is 9 episodes long and surrounds itself around the two Marvel characters, Wanda Maximoff and Vision of the Avengers. 

Now I’m late to the Marvel hype. I binged watched all 23 movies only in the last few weeks only to then finish Wandavision in one day the week of the finale. Let me say, it was a rollercoaster of emotions. Wandavision being the last in my series of binge watching was a rollercoaster in itself.  

The show starts off copying the dimensions of sitcoms through the years, starting with the black and white style of the 1950’s. I found this extremely interesting as it wasn’t something you see now a day in the media. The biggest spoiler of them all to Marvel fans—VISION IS ALIVE??? We did not see that coming at all. Throughout the movie Infinity War, we saw Vision die…twice. This brings in the biggest question of the series already, how is Vision alive and why are the two of them in this cinematic universe of their own in a different time period? The show then changes and travels through the different time periods, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, leading up to the style of sitcoms we see today such as Modern Family.  

Throughout the episodes we then get a glimpse of what is happening outside of this TV show world and learn that Wanda herself has created this little bubble of a false reality while the agents of S.W.O.R.D are on the outside trying to get in and stop her, as she has taken mind control over all of the people inside the bubble. Wanda even creates her own family, her and Vision having two boys in the progression of the show and then catches one of the S.W.O.R.D agents infiltrating her universe. The show’s set and costume designs are also AMAZING and so spot on to the different time periods. 

Now if you’ve watched the show, I know what you’re waiting for me to touch upon… The finale. In this final episode, we see tons of action-packed fighting scenes and Wanda coming to terms with finding out her true self as the Scarlet Witch, thanks to Agatha, (who was messing up things all along). We also see a very intense battle between Wanda’s version of Vision against the white Vision S.W.O.R.D reconstructed from the real Vision’s body. 

The show also had a very personal underlying meaning throughout its run time. Grief was the biggest element strewn into the plotline. Wanda was so tormented by the grief and pain of losing Vision that she had to create this entire town of a fantasy along with a family of their own that she always dreamed of having with him. The finale deals a lot with Wanda accepting her grief and fate of her alternate reality as she knows it is falling apart. Also, how it is finally time for her to let go of her Vision, family, and release all of the people that she has been controlling and let them get back to their real lives. 

Her goodbyes with the children and especially Vision himself are some of the most heartbreaking scenes I have ever seen. She tells her sons how proud she is of them for fighting that day and that they will never not be a family even if they are apart. Wanda then has to grieve losing Vision AGAIN along with the loss of her family and two kids. Her goodbye to Vision is one of the hardest things she has ever had to do in her life. She gives a touching speech to Vision after he asks what he is, knowing he is not the true Vision. After their world has been closed and ended, Wanda returns to the real world. It is then we see her standing in what seems to be an outline of a household foundation, where we have seen on a property deed with a heart, saying, “To grow old in. V.” from Vision. This shows where Wanda’s idea for creating this reality came from and how strongly she was suffering in her grief. 

Overall, I loved the show with all of my heart. I loved seeing the topic of grief as it is not something we see often being the main theme behind a show. It is one of those shows I can rewatch without getting tired of it (and will make me cry every time). Even if you’re not a Marvel fanatic, I think it is one that can be enjoyed by all. 

And if you didn’t know, there is currently a collab between Ulta and Wandavision out. I totally didn’t run to my nearest store the second I heard about it…  

Kacey Bilardi

Providence '23

English major with a Theatre minor Class of 2023
Nicole Idelson

Providence '22

Nicole Idelson is a Social Work major at Providence College. On campus, she is also a part of The Mental Health Awareness Board and Best Buddies. She has been involved in HerCampus since her freshman year at Providence College, and absolutely loves the club. Nicole also enjoys traveling, hanging out with friends, and eating avocado toast.