Met Gala Gown
Met Gala Gown
Alanna Martine Kilkeary / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

The Winners & Losers of the Met Gala

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

The 2023 Met Gala was one that went under the radar compared to many of the previous events. Why? Maybe it was because the theme itself was a loser. “Karl Lagerfeld: A Line Of Beauty” as the theme was a poor choice. Not only is the theme so specific that it stifled the creativity of designers, but Lagerfeld is controversial and not a man that necessarily should be celebrated. So who was able to make the most of the night and who failed to impress? (Especially considering Blake Lively, the Queen of the Met Gala, didn’t make an appearance.) Here are some of my (maybe hot?) takes on this year’s fashion choices.

The Losers:

Rami malek

WHAT was Rami Malek wearing!!?? He looked like a half-dressed dad going to church. This is the Met Gala, it’s time to GO BIG or GO HOME. Maybe Malek should have stayed at home this year? Prada did him dirty.

Cara Delevingne

Cara’s look was a let-down after what we’ve come to expect from her based on previous Met Gala and red carpet appearances. Her look fit the theme by embracing black and white color blocks and an icy white/grey bob to mimic Lagerfeld’s own iconic look. The outfit wasn’t original and didn’t bring out any of Cara’s unique features. Overall, her look was forgettable.

Janelle monae

I’m sure some of you may disagree, but Janelle Monae was just not a winner in my mind this year. Designer Thom Browne’s looks had a wide range this year (with simple looks for the likes of Daniel Riccardo and more intricate looks for Janelle and Jenna Ortega). While Janelle’s was a more detailed design with two different looks, the cone shape forcing her arms out to the sides was eye catching but NOT in a good way.

Aubrey Plaza

Don’t get me wrong, Aubrey Plaza is one of my favorite celebs – she’s funny on and off the screen. But this look was not hitting. The deep cut neckline gave a chance for yet another wardrobe-mulfunction and quite honestly doesn’t suit her figure. She was wearing the same gloves that it seemed half the other women were. We get that it’s a tribute to Karl, but we’re looking for at least some originality from the designers that are dressing these celebrities. Aubrey made it work but it could’ve been so much better!

Lea Michele

Lea Michele is one of the biggest losers of the night. Her fans loved the outfit and the nods to her character, Fanny, with the wig. Most of the internet agrees that her dress was not working though. Lea Michele has looked great in other dresses, but this one was not her best. The cut out paired with the bow was a strange combination.

Now, on to some of the positive highlights of the night!

The Winners:

Anne hathaway

It seems the internet agrees for once – this year, Anne Hathaway has stolen the Met Gala crown from both Blake Lively and Rihanna. Her Versace dress is one that has been seen on runways and celebrities before in black. Given the theme being an ode to Lagerfeld, it would have been easy to reuse the black dess, but Donatella pulled out a new white version for Anne and it was STUNNING! Anne made that dress her own, the hair styling emphasizing the punk/rock-and-roll quality.

It should come as no surprise that Anne continued to show off great fashion in Venice with Bulgari last week. It seems Anne Hathaway has entered a new, breath-taking era.

Micaela Diamond

The Broadway actress looked stunning in a Caroline Herrera dress. The beautiful lilac color stood out among the sea of black, but still included a nice touch of black tulle. What really brought the whole piece together though were her accessories and makeup!

Jenna Ortega

Jenna Ortega’s look designed by Thom Browne was divisive but in my eyes was a true WINNER. The dress fit the theme while also showing off Jenna’s personality and style. The steampunk-esque style was fun and different while still embracing the colors associated with the theme.

shai gilgeous-alexander

I had never heard about Shai before the 2023 Met Gala but he was a stand out this year! He’s a basketball player but he looked like a fashion icon this May. This is another Thom Browne entry to this list. Most of the men at the Met Gala this year were too boring to consider as “losers” or “winners” so Shai making this list should really emphasize just how good his look was!

Suki Waterhouse

Suki Waterhouse’s boldness was one of the only bold choices that paid off that night. The transparency of the dress was high-fashion and really showcased the beautiful botanical embroidery. She fit the theme by wearing something that was actually designed by Karl Lagerfeld – truly as on-theme as you can get! She looked gorgeous with Robert Pattinson on her arm.

There were definitely more winners, losers, in-betweeners, and the too weird to even categorize (here’s looking at you Doja Cat, Jared Leto, and Lil Nas X). These are some of the winners and losers that stood out to me. Who will we see “win” next year’s Met Gala?

Emma Cross

Providence '23

Emma is a senior at PC majoring in English. She is a big fan of baking, podcasts, libraries, and Star Wars!