The Impact of “Booktok” – Why Everyone Needs to Read Taylor Jenkins-Reid’s Books

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Like many people, I have found myself to be constantly influenced by what is recommended to me on TikTok, like clothes, recipes, places to visit, and since the start of the pandemic: mainly books. “Booktok” as it has been named, allows TikTok users to recommend books and essentially makes them go viral. This is where I was introduced to Taylor Jenkins-Reid’s three most recent books: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, Daisy Jones & the Six, and Malibu Rising.

The seven husbands of evelyn hugo

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo has quickly become one of my all-time favorite reads, a title I do not give away easily. The book is about a starlet, Evelyn Hugo, growing into fame in the 1950s, combining old Hollywood glamor and ruthless ambition to rise to the top, who shares her story with a journalist at the end of her career. Each chapter highlights one of Evelyn’s husbands, with the constant question: who is Evelyn’s one true love? In her books, TJR makes historical fiction such an easy read, making it hard to put the book down. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo has also been in talks to be in the early stages of production for a movie, with TJR writing for the movie as well.

CMEuCtaXWdbJXCGH2L0LG9hgZNJG

Daisy jones & the six

Daisy Jones & The Six follows a band in the 1970s and their start as well as rise to fame, how they deal with alcohol and drug addiction, and relationships while being a successful band. The format of Daisy Jones & The Six is unlike any I have previously read. The book reads almost like a manuscript of an interview, giving it an authentic feel that had me looking on Spotify for the songs members in the fictional band were describing in the book. Daisy Jones & The Six is currently in production for a television show based on the book, where filming started on September 28th. Big names of Sam Claflin (who you may know from Hunger Games or Love, Rosie), Riley Keough (best known for American Honey and being the granddaughter of Elvis Presley), and Suki Waterhouse (model and also known for work on Love, Rosie) are playing characters Billy and Karen, as well as many other talented actors on the project. The twelve-episode series is expected to come out on Amazon Prime in late 2021-early 2022.

DLNOCrzStf6oAw NyU 5kOQEGZoSIzBqllKM 3ftDYbRN BLXgLzVN 1suqmMPQMihEkFtFU10 QnQiz4PI3dgkN08ZPEnUSoHheF2d1alZh0i19xZoFDLRM26stiCfqQg yyplAbi ixeX5ygN RIU2mdLriDEgwnd4uttQN1CobHaU98k=s0

malibu rising

Malibu Rising follows the famous Riva siblings over the course of one very eventful day: August 27, 1983. The Riva siblings: Nina, Jay, Kit, and Hud are the children of Mick Riva, the famous rock star (whom you may also recognize from previous TJR books). The book follows the preparation for as well as the actual annual, end of summer Riva party, thrown by Nina Riva, the eldest, each year. The day impacts all of the siblings’ careers, relationships, and senses of self and will leave the reader laughing, crying, and wanting to hug the Riva siblings all at once. The book also takes place in Malibu, and the aesthetic throughout the book is enough to make me pack my bags and learn how to surf.

All in all, I think TJR’s books are completely deserving of all of the hype they have received, each book leaving me feeling transported in time. The only regret I have when reading these books is that they did not last longer. With each “book hangover” making me sad the characters were no longer a part of my life—it is only a testament to how good TJR’s writing truly is. Happy reading!

Hannah Lynch

Providence '23

Hannah is a senior at Providence College majoring in Political Science and Business Economics. She enjoys traveling, running, reading, and spending time with friends!