This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

In the wake of everything happening with Britney Spears’ conservatorship, another family member is making waves. This family member is Jamie Lynn Spears,’ who just released her book, Things I Should Have Said. There has been some controversy regarding the book, as according to BBC, many, including Britney, believe that “the ill-timed memoir contains several misleading or outrageous claims.” The book was released on January 18th and centers around Jamie Lynn Spears’ life. According to BBC, the book also includes, “her young daughter’s near-fatal accident in 2017, her relationship with Britney and the role she played in the singer’s controversial conservatorship.” Jamie Lynn appears to believe that they have always had a close relationship, while Britney does not feel the same. In an interview with ABC, Jamie Lynn said that she was her “sister’s biggest supporter,” through the conservatorship. 

She also claimed that Britney’s behavior slowly became “erratic, paranoid, and spiraling.” Jamie Lynn appeared on the podcast, Call Her Daddy, to discuss and promote the book. She opened up about an experience where “Britney supposedly locked herself in a room with a knife and told Jamie Lynn she was “scared.” Britney responded to Jamie Lynn’s claims in a Good Morning America interview, saying that Jamie was hardly ever around her growing up, and would not have seen those types of behaviors. According to BuzzFeed, Britney took to Twitter to deny the claim that she had locked herself in a room with a knife, saying, “I’ve never been around you ever with a knife or even would I ever even think to do such.” Many fans of Britney and the #freeBritney movement have been outwardly against the book as they believe that Jamie Lynn released it and made up several of the claims within it, to gain attention. According to BBC, Jamie Lynn has responded to these rumors by saying “I can’t help that I was born a Spears too, and that some of my experiences involve my sister.” Jamie Lynn has also said that her book is much more than centering around Britney. 

Throughout Britney’s fight for freedom from her conservatorship, she has openly discussed the emotional abuse that she has faced from her father for years, as well as his alcoholism. Jamie Lynn has now done the same within her book. According to BuzzFeed, she said, “his bouts of drinking always caused me periods of torment and sorrow.” This helps to show how their father, James Parnell Spears,’ alcoholism had a significant impact on both of their lives. Jamie Lynn also opened up about her parents’ lack of support when she became pregnant at a very young age. According to BuzzFeed, “she felt pressured to make the “issue” disappear.” After she chose to keep the baby, despite her parents’ lack of support for her decision, they placed her in an “insufferable remote cabin in the Northeast while she was pregnant to keep the news from leaking.” This made Jamie feel completely alone and “alienated.” However, Britney has gone against the claims that she has made about her parents, as in an Instagram post, “she described Jamie Lynn as being pampered, saying “this was never my life.” For those who want to hear Jamie Lynn’s life story, you can purchase the book through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or a local bookstore. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-60051796

https://www.buzzfeed.com/simrinsingh/jamie-lynn-spears-memoir-details

Nicole Idelson

Providence '22

Nicole Idelson is a Social Work major at Providence College. On campus, she is also a part of The Mental Health Awareness Board and Best Buddies. She has been involved in HerCampus since her freshman year at Providence College, and absolutely loves the club. Nicole also enjoys traveling, hanging out with friends, and eating avocado toast.