This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Fans of the Superman comics are finally being graced with a new issue this November. This issue will push the boundaries in a way that no prior issue has ever done before. That is because, in this issue of the comic book, Superman will be depicted as bisexual. According to CNN, those that know the comics well, know that “every comic iteration of Superman has been besotted with longtime love Lois Lane.” However, in this issue, the love interest for Superman will be completely different. According to CNN, “the fifth issue of the DC comic series “Superman: Son of Kai-El” will confirm that the new Superman– Jon Kent–, is bisexual after falling for Jay Nakamura, a male reporter.” The story will have different twists and turns in it. It will follow the story of Jon Kent “becoming Earth’s new Superman” in which he will “grapple with the immense weight of his new gig.” 

This is where Jay Nakamura comes into the story, in which he acts as a comforting shoulder for Kent. He is depicted as being a “bespectacled writer with a bubble-gum pink mop.” Further details about what the comic will include will be released in November. However, for those that are fans of the comic, they can get an early peak of Kent and Nakamura as “images from the comic show [them] sharing a kiss and sitting together atop a building, their legs dangling off the edge.” The writer, Tom Taylor, commented on the news of Superman being shown as being in a bisexual relationship. According to DC Comics, he said, “Superman’s symbol has always stood for hope, for truth, and for justice. Today, more people can see themselves in the most powerful superhero in comics.” This new Superman comic will go far beyond enjoyment for the adventures that he takes, but also, provide inclusion for those within the LGBTQ+ community. As comic books have historically depicted relationships between a man and a woman, including the earlier Superman comics, this will be pivotal in showing that romance and love can occur within all different types of relationships. 

In the past few years, DC Comics, which is the company that Superman is under, has become increasingly inclusive of the LGBTQ+ community. According to CNN, they have incorporated “the character Tim Drake, one of the many Robins to fight alongside Batman, [who] accepted a date from a male admirer.” As well as “Batwoman, also known as Kate Kane, who at one point was punished for her relationship with another woman under the US military’s former “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy.” DC Comics has made great strides in inclusion by incorporating characters of all different backgrounds and sexualities.  Hopefully, we will also see these characters come to life on the big screen as well! For those that are fans of the Superman comics, make sure to check out your local comic book shop, or online, on November 9th to pick up your very own copy! 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/11/entertainment/superman-comes-out-bisexual-jon-kent-cec/index.html

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2021/10/11/jon-kent-finds-his-identity-in-superman-son-of-kal-el-5

Nicole Idelson

Providence '22

Nicole Idelson is a Social Work major at Providence College. On campus, she is also a part of The Mental Health Awareness Board and Best Buddies. She has been involved in HerCampus since her freshman year at Providence College, and absolutely loves the club. Nicole also enjoys traveling, hanging out with friends, and eating avocado toast.