This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Summer’s (thankfully) fast approaching which means a couple of amazing things are coming as well; reuniting with old friends, road trips, beach days, and concerts! I’m a concert-aholic so I already have a couple lined up for the upcoming months, specifcally in the greater New York area. There’s some AWESOME people going on tour this summer, so I’d thought it would be fun to compile a list of artists that I’d personally love to see live in concert this summer! I prefer more pop and alternative music, so most of the artists below are within that genre of music. Yet regardless of what type of music you like, concerts are a foolproof way to make your summer a-may-zang. 

Bonus: All these concerts are perfect for those who live around or between the New York City and Boston areas!

First off, festivals:

1. Governors Ball – Randall’s Island NYC – June 2nd, 3rd, and 4th

(Photos courtesy of @katie_torok from GovBall 2016)

Governors Ball, or “GovBall” for short, is a personal favorite of mine. I’ve already bought my ticket for Friday which includes Chance the Rapper, Lorde, Schoolboy Q, and Tove Lo. Amazing food, super fun vibes, and a guaranteed good time.

2. Boston Calling – Harvard Athletic Complex in Boston – May 26th, 27th, and 28th 

Weezer, The 1975, Oh Wonder, The XX, and Mumford & Sons just to name a few of the AMAZING alternative artists set to play over the course of this three day festival.

(Photos courtsey of @allyh1 from Boston Calling 2016 (Daughter pictured second))

Concerts (dates subjected to change):

1. Chainsmokers – June 2nd, Boston – June 7th, Providence – June 9th & 10th, New York

With their new album “Memories… Do Not Open” set to drop this upcoming month, this duet is sure to put an unforgettable performance

2. Ed Sheeran – July 14th & 15th, Connecticut – September 22nd & 23rd, Boston – September 29th & 30th & October 1st, New York 

Although Ed’s coming a little later in the summer/fall, he is literally my favorite artist I’ve ever seen. Like EVER. He puts on the MOST AMAZING performance ever and it doesn’t matter at all where you sit. I honeslty think he’s the best live performer out there, especially since he sounds even better live. 

3. Shawn Mendes – August 16th, New York – August 23rd, Boston

This Canadian cutie is coming back to the states. I saw him open up for Taylor Swift’s 1989 Tour in 2015 and he KILLED it. Highly recommended if you can catch him live.

4. Coldplay – August 1st, New York – August 4th, Boston

How can you go wrong with some early 2000’s classics? Re-live your childhood this summer at their colorful concert!

5. The Weeknd – June 2nd, Connecticut – June 6th & 7th, New York 

Whether you’d like to admit it or not, you probably almost always have one of his songs stuck in your head. Get them out of your head by singing along with him in concert!

6. The 1975 – June 1st, New York

Hasn’t everyone gone through a 1975 phase? Even just a little one? If you can’t catch these Brits in New York, they’re playing at Boston Calling as well!

7. Florida Georgia Line – June 15th, New York – July 7th, Boston – August 18th, Connecticut

I may only know like two of their songs, but I feel like a country concert in the summer is the perfect combo. “Cruise” into the summer with these guys.

8. Justin Bieber – August 23rd & 24th, New Jersey/New York – August 29th, Massachusetts

I mean, you have to like at least ONE of his songs. Use this as an excuse to take your younger sister to a concert that you ~secretly~ want to go to.

9. Hunter Hayes – June 23rd, New York

Another personal favorite country cutie of mine. Even though you’ll have to travel a little outsde of New York City to see him in Long Island, NY, I’m sure it’ll be worth it!

10. Local Concerts!

You don’t always have to travel to the nearest big city to go to a concert! Check out local or smaller bands if you’re looking for last minute, and oftentimes affordable, live music. It’s just a great way to support unknown bands and the growing music community!

Katie Torok

Providence

Hey everybody! I'm Katie, a freshman double English and French major from Larchmont, NY. I love everything to do with Taylor Swift, chocolate chip cookies, and being a Her Campus contributor!