Saint Patrick’s Day Cocktails

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

The Classics

Green Beer

What You Need:

Any beer you want

Green Food Coloring

Saint Patrick’s Day is pretty much the one day of the year it is required to drink beer so this recipe meets that requirement. It is also the easiest, cheapest, and most convenient option for a festive drink. All you have to do is take any beer of your choice and add some green food coloring to it! 

Irish Car Bomb

What You Need:

½ oz. whiskey

½ oz. Irish cream liqueur

½ pint stout, usually Guinness

If you go to any bar on Saint Patrick’s Day chances are you will see most people drinking Irish Car Bombs. This drink is not something to enjoy, you drink it for the experience on St. Paddy’s Day. The way to make it you make a shot with a combination of whisky and Irish cream and drop it into a half a pint of stout, and drink it as quickly as you can.

Irish Coffee

What You Need:

1 ½ oz. Irish cream liqueur

1 ½ oz. Irish whiskey

1 cup hot brewed coffee

Whip Cream

Irish Coffee is a way to sneak a little bit of alcohol into your day without people knowing. This year St. Paddy’s Day is on a Friday so you can go a little crazy without worrying about class or work the next day, but with this you can get your celebration started a little early.

Alcoholic Shamrock Shake

What You Need:

Any Size or Flavor Shamrock Shake (there’s 5 varieties this year)

Any alcohol of your choice

With this you can use any alcohol you like, I recommend flavored vodka that is works well with this, like vanilla or whipped cream, Pinnacle has a lot of options. You can put the shake and alcohol into a blender so it can be better mixed together or you can simply pour it in. With this recipe you can get a flavor of vodka that you enjoy so you can use it for more than just your shamrock shake!

Crowd Drinks

St. Patrick’s Day Punch

What You Need:

2 quarts lime sherbet

2 bottles champagne

2 liters ginger ale

½ can pineapple juice

Lemon and lime slices, to garnish

Directions:

Add the lime sherbet to a large punch bowl. Pour the champagne on top of the sherbet. Then, slowly add the ginger ale and pineapple juice to the mixture.

Stir a bit to help the sherbet become foamy and combine the ingredients. Garnish with lemon and lime slices.

This punch serves multiple people, which is great for you and your party guests!. St. Patrick’s Day is the perfect situation to throw a party, and this is the perfect drink for one. All you have to do it make this in a large punch bowl and then you’re all set to enjoy the party rather than play bartender,  I’ve been there and it is never fun. You can use always use different juice or soda too. If you aren’t a fan of ginger ale or pineapple juice I would recommend using sprite and lemonade to have a lemon-lime flavor to the punch!

Lucky Leprechaun Rum Punch

What You Need:

1 bunch fresh mint, stems removed plus more for garnish

2 pkg. Kool-Aid Lemon-Lime Flavor Unsweetened Drink Mix

2 qt. (8 cups) pineapple juice, chilled

1 bottle (2 L) carbonated lemon-lime soda, chilled

1 bottle (750 ml) white rum, optional

2 lemon, sliced

3 lime, sliced

Directions:

Make the punch: Muddle mint with Kool-Aid in punch bowl or pitcher.

Add pineapple juice; stir until mix is dissolved.

Stir in soda, rum and fruit just before serving.

To serve, pour punch into glasses, add a few extra slices of citrus and a sprig of mint.

This recipe makes 8 drinks in total so it is perfect if you are getting a few friends together to celebrate. You can also just put this into a punch bowl and let people serve themselves while you enjoy the party! While rum and St. Patrick’s Day don’t usually go together, this drink is sure to be a fun change. Especially with St. Patrick’s Day only being 2 weeks after spring break here at PC this drink will bring you back to the beach.