absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Kavanaugh Confirmed to Supreme Court Justice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Last week on Friday, the Senate Judiciary Committee voted to move forward with Hon. Brett Kavanaugh to the full Senate for his nomination to the Supreme despite the allegations of sexual assault and compelling testimony from Dr. Christine Blasey Ford. Throughout the hearing process, Kavanaugh’s behavior was that of a young child throwing a temper tantrum. The position of a Supreme Court Justice is among the highest and most prestigious in the country. Therefore, it is imperative that the President nominates someone who is able to conduct themselves in a highly respectable manner. That type of behavior is far from what the public witnessed last week. (See gif below for proof).

Something that I was able to gather from the questions and testimony is that our boy Brett really loves beer. I mean fair, who doesn’t?! However, one of of the more shocking comments made by Kavanaugh was made when his drinking habits were questioned. When Senator Amy Klobuchar asked Kavanaugh if he had ever drank to the point of not being able to remember he snapped back at her, “You’re asking about blackout. I don’t know, have you?” he responded. Given the fact that the alleged assault occurred at a high school party, questioning the Judge’s drinking habits was completely fair and his behavior was completely inappropriate.

However, despite Kavanaugh’s temper tantrums and several allegations of sexual misconduct, the Senate confirmed him in a vote of 50-48 and he was sworn in only hours later. In an era of #MeToo and #Time’sUp, women across the country were hoping to finally witness a moment of justice. Unfortunately, the Senate was unable to pull through for them. The only thing we can hope for is that despite this outcome, women will continue to be courageous enough to share their stories of sexual assault.

Megan McGunigle is a Political Science and English double major at Providence College. On campus, Megan is involved with WDOM the student run radio station, Club Figure Skating and the organization Generation Citizen. Generation Citizen helps to civically engage students in local middle schools and high schools. She also enjoys ice cream, chocolate, and pizza. Her dream job would be working as a journalist in Washington D.C. to write about all the country's political happenings.