How to Survive the Super Bowl when you Don’t Care about Football

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

I can only imagine the cringe surging through every Providence College kid who reads this article- I’m sorry. Considering we have no definitive sports team in Connecticut, I wasn’t exactly raised to accept Tom Brady as my lord and savior. I can appreciate the love that people have for him: he’s handsome, has a perfect wife and children, and makes millions of dollars. But he isn’t enough to make me wait around all year for football season. While there are plenty of other players, like Gronk, a paid sponsorship from Subway doesn’t exactly do it for me.

However, I find myself in the minority, and football continues to air. If you’re like me (but afraid to admit it in the case that the Massholes attack), here’s a few things you can do during the Super Bowl this Sunday to make your lack of knowledge/ energy to care a bit more bearable. 

1) EAT 

One thing that is consistent with major television events is fantastic appetizers. While the vibe isn’t necessarily fancy finger food, wings are deliciously fitting into our college budget. Try making some buffalo chicken dip to offset the anger of people who know you secretly couldn’t care less. 

P.S. Golden Crust is having a special sale!

2) Watch the commercials 

The stereotype is that men are the ones to watch the Super Bowl while the women wait patiently for the commercials. While it’s extremely sexist and outdated, it happens to fit exactly into my interests. Super Bowl commercials never disappoint- and they shouldn’t, considering companies pay millions of dollars to have them aired. Here’s a few of my favorites:

3) Wait for the halftime performance 

The halftime show of the Super Bowl is always iconic- Katy Perry and her left shark, Lady Gaga jumping like a spider money, and EVERYBODY knows what happened to Janet Jackson. With all of the controversy over Maroon 5 performing in spite of overwhelming public opinion that the musical act should be dedicated to Colin Kaepernick, it can only be assumed that the show will be political. Travis Scott and Big Boi have also received criticism, but not nearly as much as the headliner. The NFL insists that “the artists will let their show do the talking,” as the band’s press conference was cancelled. This ominous quote from the NFL leads me to believe that Maroon 5 is going to attempt to make some political statement with their shallow pop music. I’m going to have a hard time believing “Girls Like You” is going to make political waves, but keep trying, Adam Levine and other nameless band members! 

4) Bandwagon 

Even if you don’t care who wins, it’s great to know you’re from the winning side! If (when) the Patriots win this Sunday, celebrate like the phony you are! Post-Super Bowl celebrations are exponentially more fun than watching the actual game, so make sure you go out. Who knows, maybe you’ll be the one setting mattresses on fire this year. 

Whether or not you’re a true fan, enjoy the Super Bowl!