How To: Get Over A Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Break ups are hard, you want to hate your ex but at the same time you still want to hang out with them. The best way to deal with it is by pretending that they are literally dead. You feel like calling them after you’ve been tearing up the dance floor at Whiskey’s? You can’t. They’re dead. You want to put on their sweatshirt and watch a chick flick? I mean, you can do that. But like, don’t it’s pathetic and you’re better than that. If pretending they’re dead is not possible for you, here are a few tips on how to make yourself move on. 

1. Make A Playlist: No, not an Adele cry yourself to sleep playlist. You need a bada$$ chick or happy vibes playlist. Only certain Taylor Swift songs will make the cut, and “You’re Not Sorry” is not one of them. If you don’t know what I mean, click this link and viola you have a breakup playlist. 
  2. Go to the Gym: Remember in Legally Blonde when Elle Woods explained endorphins to a bunch of lawyers? Well she wasn’t kidding, endorphins DO make you happy. The most cathartic workouts for me are when I go for a 4 mile run but everyone workout differently. Yoga also applies here, the deep breathing really helps take a load off. 
  3. Unfollow Them: You’re unfollowing them in real life so why not unfollow them on the inter webs? I hate when girls are say, “I don’t want to seem aggressive by unfollowing”. Unless you plan on being friends after breaking up (which is a myth btw but you do you), there is no reason for you to be checking up on their Snap Story or Insta page. It is just not healthy for you to try to decipher the meanings behind his captions or stalk the girls he tags in photos
  4. Get A Haircut: A lot of people like to go through some sort of visual transformation after breaking up with their significant other. I am one of those people. You don’t have to go in and chop everything off. Although, I have to admit that is a very liberating experience. Go in and get a trim or add some layers. Whatever is going to make you feel like you look your best. It will help you to get some confidence back and feeling fine. 
  5. Take Your Time: It has been said that the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else. I would argue that is not the case. So before you reactivate your Tinder profile, think about whether or not you’re ready to get involved with someone again. Also, notice that I said “Take Your Time” and not “Wait 3 months”. It is okay to jump into something new without having much downtime, but make sure the other person is on the same page as you. Be up front that it might take awhile for you to be able to fully open up again. Above all, do what feels right for you. There is not proper timeline, it’s all relative. 
Megan McGunigle is a Political Science and English double major at Providence College. On campus, Megan is involved with WDOM the student run radio station, Club Figure Skating and the organization Generation Citizen. Generation Citizen helps to civically engage students in local middle schools and high schools. She also enjoys ice cream, chocolate, and pizza. Her dream job would be working as a journalist in Washington D.C. to write about all the country's political happenings.