How to De-Stress in April

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Remember looking at that syllabus in January, eyeing up all the final due dates for projects and tests, thinking you have all the time in the world??

Remember telling yourself you’d start early to save yourself all the stress and anxiety that comes with procrastination?

If you’re anything like me, February and March went by in the blink of an eye, and now you’re drowning in an overwhelming amount of work and self-pity.  Instead of letting your stress overcome you, follow these tips that will allow you to rejuvenate and prove to be the smart, productive girl you know you are.

5. Face Masks and Nails

Face masks are the solution to everything, and while putting one on may not guarantee you that A you’re dying to get on your final project, it will help you practice the self-care that often gets neglected during times of stress. Go to your nearest ULTA or Sephora and pick out a face mask that’s best suited for your skin type.  If you’re feeling bold, you can try one of the trendy new face masks, such as the GlamGlow Bubblesheet Oxygenating Deep Cleanse Mask. Better yet, this face mask is only $9, so you can get fabulous skin without breaking the bank. After treating your skin, why not give yourself a manicure? Yes, it can be tedious to take the time to perfect your nails, but you’ll thank yourself later. Trust me.

4. Wine Night with the Gals (21 +)

If you’re feeling down after a long day of hard work, grab a bottle of rosé and invite your best friends over for a little impromptu wine night.  It often makes a random Tuesday night one that you’ll be able to look back on and laugh about for many weeks to come. My roomies and I make sure to have a wine night at least once a month during the school week as a reminder not to take life all to seriously and to recognize that it’s important to take the time to relax with your friends.  We gossip, watch Netflix, and play fun cards games, such as Cards Against Humanity or What Do you Meme.

3. Dance Party

Just like Meredith and Cristina dance their problems away on Grey’s Anatomy, so too should you work out your problems to the beat of your favorite song.  Whenever I feel overwhelmed after doing hours of work, I’ll take a break and turn on my speaker to jam out to my current favorite song. Dancing like a crazy girl causes a spike in my seratonin while giving me that added energy that I so desperately need after relentless hours of work.  I often have my roomies join me, too, and for the 3 minutes that song is blasting in our living room, we forget about our all our problems and just enjoy each other’s company. Our favorite dance party song at the moment is MGNO by Russell Dickerson.

2. Journal

I know it sounds incredibly cheesy, but I’ve found keeping a journal of all my thoughts can be extremely therapeutic.  It allows you to take the time to self-reflect, which is another thing you often neglect to do when you’re freaking out over that 10 page paper that you just can’t seem to start.  The journal entry can be short and sweet; just write down a few of your thoughts and add what you hope to accomplish by the end of the day in order to minimize your stress levels. Writing down your goals increases your chances of accomplishing them!

1. Call Your Mom

This one’s self explanatory.  Mom loves you and always knows what’s best.  Call mom and she’s sure to reassure you of just how awesome you truly are.

RACHEL KUENY

Providence

And so the adventure begins...
Megan McGunigle is a Political Science and English double major at Providence College. On campus, Megan is involved with WDOM the student run radio station, Club Figure Skating and the organization Generation Citizen. Generation Citizen helps to civically engage students in local middle schools and high schools. She also enjoys ice cream, chocolate, and pizza. Her dream job would be working as a journalist in Washington D.C. to write about all the country's political happenings.