His Resilience and Strength That Drove His Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Will Smith’s memoir highlights his resilience and strength, particularly in his childhood. Will Smith is known to bring smiles to his fans through his bluntness and comedy. Smith’s career started in the 1990s starting his career with the show The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, from here he turned to movies such as Men in Black films, and Independence Day to name a few. He’s currently starring as the father of tennis stars Venus and Serena Williams in King Richard

His memoir goes into depth about instances of the trauma he experiences as a child. As mentioned in NPR, “Those difficulties and those traumas and the mental anguish that I had to overcome was a big part of me growing into the person I am today, and I love my life. I’m happier than I have ever been. And it is largely based on the perception of myself that I can survive anything.” Smith’s openness surrounding his experience demonstrates his growth. Smith went into depth in his memoir about his relationship with her father. He talked about how he always looked up to his father, describing him as “one of the greatest men I’ve ever known. My father was brilliant. My father was wise, and not unlike other little boys, my father was the Superman image in my mind.” The many great qualities his father had were tainted by the abuse that Will and his mother experienced brought on by the father. Will discusses the instances where his father abused his mother which he felt guilty doing as he knew that painted his dad in a bad light. Although he acknowledged this aspect, he also focused on how his dad was a great teacher and upheld his duties as a father. 

Smith also discusses his experience with mental health as a child. Entertainment Tonight claims, “Will reveals that he thought about killing himself twice in his life, with the first time being when his mother left his father. The actor explains that as a child he witnessed his father, Willard Carroll Smith Sr., abuse his mother, Caroline Bright, multiple times in their Philadelphia home. Having endured “enough,” Caroline left the household when Will was 13.” This instance gives perspective into Smith’s very challenging childhood once again demonstrating his resilience. His downward spiral with mental health was contributed to his mother leaving his father leaving him with intense guilt. Smith found himself manifesting his past into relationships with women, as he felt he was hurting them the same way his father would hurt women. It took many years for Smith to acknowledge this, and this acknowledgment contributed to his growth. 

This memoir is eye-opening and brings to light how there is a lot to learn about the people around you. Smith is a true example of how from the outside it is challenging to tell what one is going through. His transparency is refreshing and his want to help others by his own experiences is praised.

Grace is a Sophomore at Providence College, studying Finance. She has always enjoyed writing in her free time and reading books especially mystery and romance novels. Also in her free time she loves spending time with friends, staying active, and going on adventures.