Healthy Tips for Surviving Your New Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

To me, the switch from traditional dorms to an apartment-style was the most anticipated aspect of junior year. This was due to the fact that the only thing I ate in Ray dining hall was butter-less pasta, French fries, and undercooked chicken. Although I’m still on the smallest meal plan option, having a kitchen in my dorm has helped me eat healthier. Here’s some tips on how to eat healthy in your apartment:

1. Acai Bowls

Source: Lean Green Nutrition Fiend

Açaí bowls are super easy to make. All you need is açaí packets (you can get 4 for $4 at your local Trader Joe’s), your favorite fruits, almond milk, and a blender. The açaí berry is considered a “superfood” and its benefits include things like improving heart health and skin condition as well as aiding in weight loss. As long as you don’t wake your roommates up with the blender, açaí bowls are a perfect meal.

2. Zucchini Noodles 

Source: Real Food Realtor 

Zucchini noodles are by far my favorite thing. You’re basically tricking yourself into eating pasta without all the carbs. All I do to cook zucchini noodles is throw it in a pan with olive oil, pepper and garlic powder. Feel free to mix in any of your favorite veggies for some additional taste (hint: avocados taste good in anything).

3. Sweet Potatoes

Source: Love and Lemons

Yes, sweet potatoes are good for things other than sweet potato fries. Sweet potatoes are full of nutrients and improve your immune system. Pro tip: just poke a fork three times into eat side of the potato and then throw it in the microwave for four minutes on each side. Cut the sweet potato up, add some honey, and there you go!

4. Chicken

Source: Food Network

Meats are an essential part for anyone’s diet, and is the aspect I feel like I get the least amount of. Chicken is super quick to make (especially if you go to Target and spend $8 on a grill pan) so it won’t take much time to make in between club meetings and classes. It’s high in protein which will definitely help you recover from those gym sessions (that we all pretend exist but doesn’t actually).

5. Rice Cakes

Source: Prep Dish

Rice cakes are my favorite snack. It’s light in calories and makes you feel full unlike snacks like Skinny Pop. Just add peanut butter, some chopped bananas, a few chocolate chips, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. It tastes good so you might not believe it but that this snack is full of potassium and protein. Plus, this snack is cheap so it won’t break to bank either!

gemini. donut lover. pc '19.