Friend or Fan? The Impacts of Parasocial Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

The term “parasocial interactionwas coined in 1956 by Horton and Wohl to refer to an unreciprocated psychological relationship between an audience and performers in the mass media. This relationship fosters an illusion of intimacy. Widely accessible platforms such as YouTube and TikTok allow for a closely intimate relationship between influencers and their supporters. “Influencer” popularity is at an all-time high on social media, and this has set a new precedent for parasocial relationships.

It is important to distinguish influencers from celebrities. Influencers have a following on social media that is built through their reputation, personality, and specific niche on a certain topic. Celebrities develop their popularity because people enjoy their music, acting projects, and more traditional media outlets. Think influencers is to Charli D’amelio and Kylie Jenner as celebrities is to Meryl Streep and Leonardo DiCaprio. Regardless of whether they have 10 million followers on TikTok or are an Academy Award nominated actor, parasocial relationships exist within both groups. This gives rise to an important question: are unreciprocated relationships healthy? Contrary to popular belief, I believe that parasocial relationships are not only healthy but also necessary.

How did COVID-19 affect parasocial relationships?

The onset of the COVID-19 pandemic was certainly unprecedented and truly impacted every aspect of our daily lives. In the span of a few months, we were told no physical contact with friends and fully transitioned to remote school, which eventually hindered our social well-being. Many people were able to find different outlets to find comfort amidst the terrifying and isolating circumstances. For many youths, parasocial relationships were their only sense of normalcy and intimacy. People were able to form emotional bonds without putting their health at risk. (I will admit that the video of Gal Gadot and other celebrities singing “Imagine” by John Lennon did little to support me during the pandemic.) Studies have shown that parasocial interactions were crucial during quarantine because it allowed people to have a sense of togetherness.

As Aristotle once said, everything, including parasocial relationships, should be practiced in moderation. Developing a connection with a celebrity does not mean that they should be placed on a pedestal or treated as untouchable. Recurring controversies have proved that even celebrities can get caught in problematic behaviors.

A recent example of an unexpected scandal that left the internet incredibly shocked and deeply hurt was the removal of Ned Fulmer from “The Try Guys.” Below is my article that further details the implications of the controversy.

🔗 Related: The Try Guys Try Adultery

The current buzzword now is “cancel culture,” which is when a mass audience decides to stop supporting a famous figure. With parasocial relationships, scandals can seem like a betrayal, and it becomes much more personal. Since there is a sense of intimacy in this relationship, fans have the potential to be deeply impacted by cancel culture. It takes problematic behavior from celebrities for fans to recognize that famous people are, in the end, people too.

While dedicating one’s life to supporting a celebrity or influencer is extreme, parasocial relationships help harbor a sense of belonging. Many people will attribute parasocial relationships to emotional instability and insecurity. People have difficulty with the illusion aspect of these forms of relationships. There is nothing tangible about interaction via social media and clicking a follow button. However, with the proliferation of social media, it is imperative to destigmatize parasocial relationships and acknowledge the increasing dependency on these forms of relationships.

Our society primarily views parasocial relationships in a negative light. People respond to these forms of relationships as being “out of touch” and unrealistic. There is a compelling argument in stating that parasocial relationships can impact real life because it takes away daily and physical interactions. Regardless, I believe that most people will also recognize how these sorts of relationships are inevitable and can bring comfort. The problem arises when people use parasocial relationships as a crutch for their real-life relationships.

How do parasocial relationships impact celebrities and influences?

Otegha Uwagba, founder of Women Who, shared how her interactions with a fan made her feel extremely uncomfortable. One of the inevitable downfalls of parasocial relationships is that they can blur boundaries and lead to invasions of privacy. Fans of Taylor Swift, after listening to the personal lyrics in her songs, believe that they understand Taylor Swift’s emotions and experiences. Swifties have “cancelled” her exes, such as Jake Gyllenhaal and John Mayer, partly because they feel like they personally went through Taylor Swift’s breakup. Perhaps music becomes a form of catharsis, which thus strengthens the connection between the musician and the listener. Ultimately, people are deeply invested in celebrities’ private lives and believe that they are friends with their idols.  

Some may argue that celebrities are part of the issue because they choose to share aspects of their lives. This is one of the most difficult conundrums that our generation faces. At what point do celebrities share too much of their lives and at what point do fans cross the line and invade their private lives? The issue with this unanswerable question is that it is entirely subjective. Obviously, fans cross the line when they engage in stalking and harassing, but isn’t the whole point of having a public persona sharing your lives with your fans? This relationship, just like any relationship, requires a healthy balance with respect and human dignity.

Before jumping to conclusions and critiquing parasocial relationships, people should open to the idea of these relationships and normalize the diverse forms in which people find comfort and intimacy. So, are we friends with or fans of our favorite public personas? I guess that the answer is up to us to decide.

Emily Kim

Providence '26

Emily Kim is a freshman undeclared student at Providence College. Her go-to pastime is to re-watching her favorite movies (The Dark Knight, Inception, Spirited Away) and taking pictures. Her favorite album is the folklore album by Taylor Swift and her favorite song on the album is "mirrorball."