A Friar’s Guide to the Career Expo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

It’s that time of the year my fellow friars – Career Expo. If you’re a senior like I am, you’re probably trembling at the idea of the career expo being less than a week away. After a month of practically living in the career center, here’s some tips on how to kill at the Career Expo.

1. Don’t Wait: Slavin 108!

The Center for Career Education has drop-in hours Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:00 pm. The lines can be hectic, especially with the Career Expo looming around the corner. If you’re up for the challenge, stop by with your resume and cover letter. The staff is honest and will give you the advice you need. Pro tip: The Center for Career Education hosts an Expo Crunch the day before the Expo. Employers will look over your resume and give you some advice. 

2. Take a Double Look at Your Resume

If you can’t head over to the Center for Career Education, double look over your resume on your own.  Just remember a few things when you’re looking over it: formatting is incredibly important, be specific and make sure it’s updated! Employers are looking for well-formatted resumes as it shows you pay attention to the smaller details. They also do not care about your high school honor roll, what you’re doing now is so much more important (unless you peaked in high school).

3. Dress to Impress

Whether it’s for your LinkedIn photo or the first impression with your dream company, your look does matter. Don’t be scared to branch off from the stereotypical pant-suit. I love to rock a good navy blue jumpsuit and statement necklace. It’s professional while giving employers a little glimpse into my personality. 

4.  Practice an Introduction

Maybe it’s just me but I always chock up in the moment whether it be public speaking in class or an interview. A helpful hint I learned after the stress of finding an internship is to simply practice in the mirror. The more you rehearse a general introduction and a few key points you want employers to know about you, the more comfortable you will be.

5. It’s Never Too Early

I wish this was something I knew as a freshmen, sophomore, or even junior. Don’t scare away from the Career Expo because you don’t need a full time job. Internships are offered to a lucky few as well. Expanding your network of connections can never be a bad thing!

gemini. donut lover. pc '19.