This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Want to be more involved on campus and help fight hunger? Join Friar Food Rescue!

Getting involved and becoming an active member of your college community is hard. It seems as though everyone is involved in numerous different clubs and organizations and it’s difficult to keep up with the fast paced, over programmed kids of Providence College. Luckily, PC has an extensive list of clubs that can suit your level of commitment and your interests. If you’re looking to give back to your community and be a part of a club with some of the best people on campus, Friar Food Rescue is a great place to get involved.

Friar Food Rescue is the PC branch of a larger organization called the Food Recovery Network. They are a group dedicated to fighting food waste on campus. They do this by taking all of the leftover food from the Ray and Alumni dining halls and bringing it to shelters around the Providence area. FFR also works on rescuing all the leftovers from big events on campus and saving it for the people who need it in our community.

Their mission is to fight waste and feed people. They recently created a new mantra that they are trying to spread across campus, especially in the Raymond dining hall and our Alumni dining hall which is to “take what you need, and give what you don’t.” Friar Food Rescue strongly encourages people to think about taking only what they need so no food goes to waste.

Why we should care and get involved:There is a huge problem of hunger not only in our nation but also in the world. It’s hard to believe that some people don’t have access to food on a regular basis like we do. Just in our surrounding area of Providence, there are people going hungry every single day. We can help diminish the problem of hunger in our neighborhood just by creating less waste and getting involved with programs such as the Food Recovery Network.

How to get involved:There are weekly meetings for the Friar Food Recovery network every Thursday at 5:30 in the Feinstein academic building; FFR is always accepting new members! And remember, everyone can do their part to fight hunger every day just by being food conscious!

Sophomore English Major at Providence College, Extreme Foodie, Avid Netflix Watcher
Faith Hollis

Providence

On an endless search to find the the best internship, the best food, and the best shoes; wherever these may bring me. CC at Providence College, Marketing Major.