The Chronicles of a Girl With Chronic FOMO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

It’s a Wednesday night. I’m studying for my exam tomorrow in my apartment and I hear the words “Should we go out tonight?” Instantly I imagine ditching my books and trading them in for the dance floor and my closest friends. “Everyone’s going out!” they said, “You can just wake up early and study!” they said. And I’m sucked in. Some people would say I can’t turn down a night out. Some would argue that I don’t care about my school work. The real answer? FOMO. The fear of missing out. That feeling you get when you’re sitting in your room while your friends blast the classic 6 pregame songs over and over again. FOMO is a legitimate condition girls, and when you have it, you have it bad. So what do I do? I’m stuck in a situation where I trade in my ‘A’ for a night out that honestly, I probably don’t even want. But because of my fear of missing out, I find myself dying to get ready. I just can’t imagine all of my friends having a blast without me. But I guess I have to right?

So how do I beat this FOMO? How do I possibly survive watching my friends get ready to go out while I’m stuck all alone missing out on all of the pictures and memories? There’s a couple of things I could do… I could screw the exam and go out with my friends, staying out later than everyone else to make sure I don’t miss anything or I could be the responsible person and move to the library to focus on the test. The latter would obviously mean me having to turn off my phone to avoid the obligatory group texts, Snap Stories, and Instagrams that I will sadly not be a part of. Neither of these options are ideal. This may sound completely dramatic right? Who cares if I miss I night out, its just one night! Well for those of you who suffer from this disorder you definitely feel my pain. So what should I do? Stay tuned…

Faith Hollis

Providence

On an endless search to find the the best internship, the best food, and the best shoes; wherever these may bring me. CC at Providence College, Marketing Major.