Campus Celeb: Sarah Viens ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Sarah Viens is the creative mind behind her DIY YouTube channel.  Only recently starting to make videos this summer, Sarah has nine DIY videos that give all collegiettes great ideas to spice up their every day looks and great activities to do with your roommates on Saturday afternoons.  She takes trendy ideas and makes them her own with personal details.  Sarah is also apart of the HC Providence team.  We are very proud to have one of our own be so talented!  

Name: Sarah Viens

Hometown: Cumberland, RI

Age: 19

Year: 2017

Major: Marketing

Why did you decide to start a YouTube channel?

Honestly, I joined out of boredom. I have always enjoyed shooting videos and crafting, so I figured I’d combine the two and share it with some people!

We loved your video on dorm DIY!  How did you come up with the different projects?

Thanks so much! The flower letter I actually did last year, and I lost the giant “S” somewhere in my room over the summer (ha) so I knew I wanted to recreate that. The stationary was actually a friend’s idea and it’s her stationary. In the video you can see that there’s a “G” on a few of the stationary papers because its for her and not me! The third thing- the framed chalkboard- was simple and my other friend who actually made it has it hanging in her dorm room right this very second!

Are there any other channels collegiates should be watching on YouTube?

It definitely depends on the type of person. YouTube has such a variety that anyone can find what they’re looking for. Personally, I love to watch other DIY’s or Beauty Gurus because they inspire me to try new things! For College students specifically, I recommend any Buzzfeed videos- they are always so fascinating. Oh, or there’s this channel called “Whatever” and they are students who prank other students on their campus and stuff and it’s wicked funny.

What would your advice be for other girls who want to start a channel?

If you’re looking to start a channel, definitely do something you know you’ll love doing. Whether it’s DIY, thrifting, makeup, video games, fashion, pranking, or even making short movies- do what you want to do. You don’t need to be famous to feel accomplished at the end of the day. Heck- I only have 52 people watching my videos and I feel pretty proud of myself.

Tell us your favorite quote about success!

“Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.”

It’s not directly about success, but its an idea to keep in mind while going through life and can sort of push you in the direction of personal success. Look for beauty in everyday life! If you do already, that’s a success story right there.

We can’t wait to see what Sarah will create next!  Check out her channel here!

Emma DeSantis is sophomore at Providence College. She is studying marketing and hopes eventually work for an advertising agency after she graduates. Although from Massachusetts, Emma has spent the last eight years going to school in Rhode Island and feels like she has a little bit of the tiny state always in her heart. She enjoys reading blogs, watching fashion YouTube videos, and loves reading magazines.