This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Hey Colligettes! Over the past few weeks, I’ve been perusing the internet in search of some new summer necessities; shorts, tanks, bathing suits, you know what I mean. I naturally ended up on American Eagle’s Aerie website because they’ve honestly been KILLING the bathing suit game for the past couple of years now. Well actually, I think they’ve been killing it since they introduced their #AERIEreal campaign back in 2014. For the past few years, Aerie and American Eagle have stopped using supermodels to model their clothing and no longer use digital editing to touch up a photo. This means everything from tummies, to scars, to tattoos, to cellulite are on show.

A lot of people know about this amazing campaign centered around confidence and self-love, but I feel like there’s still a good handful that don’t. It could be possibly because Aerie is a relatively young lingerie company in comparison to others such as Victoria’s Secret, but it could also be because our society today only wants to see perfection. We don’t like to see real bodies, only their photo-shopped and edited versions. I know too many people who are ashamed to show their stretch marks, acne, and true selves online because they deem all of their imperfections as “nasty” and “unpleasant” and just plain “ugly.”

Aerie wants to change that mentality. They want you to love your body like you mean it. Show off all your imperfections because they’re what make you, well you. Love yourself because you deserve it, darling. I know that it’s easier said than done, but you need to do it. Believe Lucille Ball when she says, “Love yourself first and everything falls into place.”

I suggest checking out #AERIEreal and the Aerie website if you’re looking for some quality lingerie or swimwear and want to see gorgeous girls of all shapes, sizes, and ethnicities showing off their beautiful selves.

Katie Torok

Providence

Hey everybody! I'm Katie, a freshman double English and French major from Larchmont, NY. I love everything to do with Taylor Swift, chocolate chip cookies, and being a Her Campus contributor!