A Lighter Shade of Blue: Christina Perri’s Return to Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

You probably haven’t heard the name Christina Perri in a while. Her songs “Jar of Hearts,” “A Thousand Years,” and “Human” dominated the radio in the 2010s. Christina’s music was somber and powerful, revealing both pain and triumph, and her latest album, A Lighter Shade of Blue, continues this trend.

Christina Perri has been through many changes since her last album, Head or Heart, was released in 2014. She got married and had her first child, while also struggling with a miscarriage and the stillbirth of her second daughter. In interviews leading up to the release of A Lighter Shade of Blue, Christina shared that after losing her daughter, she learned she had a treatable blood-clotting disorder that likely contributed to her pregnancy losses. She’s choosing to use her platform to focus not on promoting her music, but rather raising awareness about women’s health issues, particularly those involving pregnancy and miscarriage. Listening to the latest album, you can hear how her grief has impacted the music.
When I first listened to A Lighter Shade of Blue it was like meeting up with a friend I hadn’t seen in a while. Christina’s voice is as soothing and beautiful as ever, but there’s a new maturity to both her voice and song-writing.

If you loved Christina Perri’s first albums or you are looking for a female singer with a soft pop/folk vibe, A Lighter Shade of Blue is definitely worth a listen. I personally can’t stop listening to the album, particularly the 5 songs I think are the best.

1. Surrender
    Surrender, the opening track, sets the tone for the rest of the album. The song prompts you to not only surrender to the world, but also to the music. The album can best be described as a type an emotional experience, with the lyrics of surrender speaking to anyone who has struggled with anxiety and grief. The calming music and Perri’s soft voice pair beautifully with the message.
  2. Back in Time
    Back in Time is the only collaboration track on the album, featuring Ben Rector. The song is an unexpected blend of their two voices and styles and is a perfect song for fans of Perri’s old work where she sings about lost love and relationships. This time though, there is a fondness in looking back at a failed relationship that has a more positive and mature tone than the songs on Lovestrong. It’s also a bop—I’ve found myself singing along to this track every time I listen.
  3. People like you
    People Like You is another track that calls back to the somber love songs of the first two albums. This is the song for anyone who has had self-doubt and insecurity in their relationships. It’s A Lighter Shade of Blue’s version of ‘Arms’ or ‘The Words.’ While it isn’t the most uplifting song, listening may help you feel less alone, and ultimately, love triumphs those insecurities.
  4. Evergone
    One of the few songs released as a single before the album release, Evergone, is a tribute to all those we’ve lost. Christina’s experience with grief, and her learning to live with it, is revealed here. She captures the realness of grief that does not disappear but just becomes a part of us that we live with. While the subject may seem sad, the music is bright and the repetition of “no one is ever gone” will leave you feeling uplifted.
  5. Mothers
    Mothers is one of the most unusual tracks on the album. It is Perri’s love letter to other mothers and reveals her own challenges with motherhood. The first time I listened, I thought the song was pretty but not for me since I’m not a mother. But as I have listened to it repeatedly, I’ve found that there’s something there for all young women who have ever considered being a mother. Christina’s voice is at its most beautiful and emotional in Mothers as she tries to break down the walls that can isolate women as they enter motherhood.

Those are my 5 favorites, but why not listen to the whole album and choose your own top 5? You can stream on your favorite streaming service now! We’d love to see Christina go on tour for this album, but that seems unlikely as she recently announced that she is once again expecting a baby girl! We wish the best for her and her family, and can’t wait to hear more!

Emma Cross

Providence '23

Emma is a senior at PC majoring in English. She is a big fan of baking, podcasts, libraries, and Star Wars!