wellness hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
wellness hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Wellness

5 Ways to Practice Self-Care in a Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.
  1. Light a Candle and Meditate

Meditating may not sound like something you would enjoy, but don’t knock it until you try it. There are plenty of apps, personally I use Sanvello, which can help guide you to reflect, breathe, and take a moment to yourself. I highly recommend mediating during this time because of the stress and anxiety that surrounds the pandemic. Meditating allows a break from all of that. The smell of the candle is not only pleasant but can help ground you if your stress becomes overwhelming.

The Lalacandles Books Laptop
Her Campus Media

1. Journal

Journaling is another way to step back in order to reflect on your thoughts, and how you are feeling. You can try bullet journaling to let out your creative side, or you can simply vent out your thoughts onto a piece of paper. There is no right or wrong way to journal; it is simply a space to physically express yourself. It is never good to keep your thoughts bottled up, and if you feel as though you have no one to talk to, journaling is a great way to let out your thoughts without having to share them to anyone else.

computer hands writing in journal on table
Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash

1. Dance Party

Although it may seem silly, dancing is a great way to have fun and let loose. You can put on your favorite tunes, grab some friends, do it by yourself, and forget about all of the work you have to do for a bit. Dancing and singing at the top of your lungs is a great stress reliever, because you can vent out all of your feelings while jamming to your favorite songs. Spotify has plenty of mood playlists that provide specific songs to match however you’re feeling.

Woman wearing white headphones and dancing
Photo by Bruce Mars from Unsplash

1. Clean Your Room

At first glance, cleaning your room may not seem like a form of self-care. However, cleaning your room can help provide you a “clean” head space. Once you feel more organized physically, it may be easier to organize the tasks you have to do and organize your thoughts. Similarly, to the aforementioned ideas, cleaning your room is also a break from your homework and your phone, so it allows you to focus on your thoughts and the task at hand. 

Krista Stucchio

1. FaceTime or Call Family and Friends

Fulfilling your social needs are just as important as fulfilling your physical needs. Calling a family member or friend, whether they’re at home or also at school, can boost how you are feeling. By calling someone you care about, you can talk about the stress you’re feeling, or you can talk about fun things and catch up to take your mind off of negative thoughts and feelings. 

Coronavirus
Unsplash

Brooke Vitulli

Providence '22

Brooke is a chapter writer for Providence College. She is a junior psychology major and is passionate about ending the stigma surrounding mental illness. Brooke spends her free time exploring cute coffee shops on Long Island, where she is from, reading at the beach, and watching RuPaul's Drag Race.
Grace is a Sophomore at Providence College, studying Finance. She has always enjoyed writing in her free time and reading books especially mystery and romance novels. Also in her free time she loves spending time with friends, staying active, and going on adventures.